Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,469   Posts: 1,570,895   Online: 990

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Viewfinder Coverage

I was just reading about viewfinder coverage. Such strong opinions on the matter! I use an FE2, which has a 93% coverage. I didn't actually know this until about two hours ago! I better start paying more attention to my edges. The F3 has 100% coverage in the Nikon lineup.

How important is the coverage in your opinion?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Much more important for slides that are to be projected than other available options.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    I appreciate the 100% coverage though and the Nikons were the only ones with it for that era - Nikon F, F2 & F3. However, I much prefer larger magnification then percentage of coverage. For instance the Pentax MX has 0.97X magnification and 95% coverage to the FE2's 0.86X & 93%. The result is visibly larger view. I understand that this is the tradeoff for those wearing glasses require eye-relief afforded by the smaller magnification.

Shooter
    35mm
    For less than 100% finders it's somewhat dependent on subject matter in the context of having ample time to properly account for what's obscurred while composing. I'd much prefer a 100% finder but also appreciate the compactness and lighter weight of smaller bodies. Can't have it all in one so that's why I have too many cameras! On a similar note, some slide mounts will obscure a portion of the image. I find that quite irritating.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have to have 100%. I'm one of those guys that files their negative carriers. I shoot E6 almost exclusively, but I don't mount it.

Shooter
    35mm
    I didn't know some SLR have 100% view until I borrowed my friend's Nikon F2 for shooting museum collections. I struggled to get the lab print it the way I see because they keep 'excluding' some details.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Viewfinder Coverage

I scan everything, I don't know about enlargers, but with my scanner holder it never quite fits dead center and the top or bottom edge is always getting cut off, so I would actually prefer a tiny but of crop as I by habit shoot exactly for frame and then get stuff cut off if the viewfinder is 100% so 97% sounds perfect to me.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It isn't important to me at all.

I have no idea what my F100, and other camera bodies do. I have to cut off some when I print anyway to get a nice clean border. If I'm printing full frame, dirty border style (which I do every now and then) having 5% more or whatever won't make any difference to me.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't see what all the fuss is about. I am quite happy using cameras with two wire frames for a viewfinder - what you get depends entirely on exactly where you put your eye. My pictures seem to work out ok.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I shoot range finders, scale focus cameras, and TLRs, don't get precise framing on any of them, never been a problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin