Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,483   Posts: 1,571,223   Online: 1124

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Focus Tracking

Shooter
    35mm

Focus Tracking

Some clever cameras focus track moving objects. Which Nikons are capable of this?

My 14 month old boy won't stay still and I'm getting lots of soft photos. I'm resorting to focusing on a spot and waiting for him to move into it, not perfect but alright if stopped down. Maybe tracking wil help.

Thanks!
    Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Focus tracking is in almost all autofocus 35mm SLRs, except low-end models. Be aware that it does not work well for erratic subjects like kids playing. It works best for tracking things like running athletes and race cars.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Perhaps faster film/flash, stop down a bit and rely on extended depth of field. Perhaps even better would be a wide angle lens like a 25mm or something, at f/8 you only need to be be very rough with focusing.

Shooter
    35mm
    The issue I suppose is that it's winter here and we're mostly indoors. I tend to be shooting at 1/125, f2.8 with Neopan 1600.

The two scenarios I'm struggling with: close portraits with shallow depth of field and action shots of our boy walking (toddling) toward the camera. I got those annoying shots with soft eyes and perfectly focused shoulders or sharp carpet pile just in front.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To get my active one, I try to get pics when he's occupied enough that he's not moving much. If he's moving, I don't think any tracking system can catch him because it's rarely a straight line. I also try for f/8 if possible, even if it means using the flash. As long as there isn't something right behind him, the flash doesn't look as bad as a blurred shot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikon F100 does and it does so even when I don't want it to!
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm a give fan of zone focusing, I use it for the hasselblad when i'm shooting action.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found that AF was more of a hindrance than a help when photographing my son. I just used 'follow-focus' and took plenty (and I mean plenty) of shots. Keep your eye in the viewfinder and on the subject at all times and manually adjust focus as the subject moves. You'll be surprised how quickly you get good at it. You don't necessarily have to use the focus points either; if your subject is compositionally off-centre, don't bother using the focus points and then recompose - that just wastes time. Use the whole area of the screen to focus wherever your subject is within it. Good luck and regards, B.
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Nikon F100 does and it does so even when I don't want it to!
    Yes to perfect the autofocus' ability to capture the unpredictability of uninhibited human movement Nikon held secret talks with the government in Scotland and got permission to place about 100 engineers with cameras on Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow on New Year's eve when the pubs(bars) closed.

Not until every shot of every Scotsman came back as pin sharp did Nikon release its F100 autofocus system. Not many people know that

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Steve,
    These are the Nikons I know have Focus tracking:
    F4, F601, F801S, any of the F90 series, F401X, F5, F6, F100, F80, F75 and the F65 should have as it has the 5 point AF system.
    For the older F4, F601 and F801S, the manual says that focus tracking is engaged at the lower continuous drive CL mode.
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-2SP, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin