Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,010   Posts: 1,524,632   Online: 984

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LaChou View Post
    I never said I can tell them apart. My point was, almost nobody can...

@sehrgut
    What "better results" are you talkig about. I meant to say: you can't trust your lens with anything, you have to watch out or it will fail you.
    Oh, little things like, say, sharpness.

I'm not saying you can't get good art from any camera, but you can't get the SAME art from any camera. You use the right tool for the job. I use a Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 wide open for available-light dance photography (something I couldn't do with any other glass I own), and a $10 Recesky or Holga for "toy camera" shots outdoors.

For want of a "glock" you can achieve the same result with a crowbar.
    Now that's just ridiculous, and it makes my point perfectly. For want of a Glock to stop an attacker 10 yards away from you, you have to put yourself in much more danger, allowing an assailant to get within crowbar range, to fend him off.

The camera is a tool, but it's not "just" a tool: the right tool makes the difference between success an failure. Ask a watchmaker.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    1. Of course, I didn't mean the extremities like Holga. Sharpness is only good for the Sigma Foveon 46 MP matrix, because a sharper lens will let it resolve even more detail. Since I shoot film, sharpness is a whole lot less of an issue then color rendition, for example.
    2. No, no. I am an "attacker". I would "attack" with any "weapon", if I do not want to lose the moment.
    3. Of course, when you are making something, building it from a row metal bar or sheet, better instruments mean better work, but even this statement CAN be challenged by an artful maker. Why should photography make much difference? I once had got a lens I was dreaming about for a long time, but it turned out, the lens was "unlucky" for me. All pictures I made with it were "flat". They looked like they were not mine. I felt I didn't want it, nohow. I sold the lens twice cheaper, and the luck returned. Now I am very careful. I don't remember, where I read this prasey: "It may be puir, but I canna drink it."
    Last edited by LaChou; 01-29-2013 at 02:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I despise those, who create their own "reality", and especially those, who try to create wisdom of their own. This is "violation of concept". When one is unable to embrace what he perceives, he creates a smaller world for himself that he can embrace, and switches off the perception.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have owned some bad lenses in my time. Neither sharp nor with a personality. I promise you that I can tell the difference from the prints.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I daily use 4 -elements Scopar screwed to Vito. Is it a bad or a good lens? I also did much work with Minolta AF 24-50/4. What about this one? Rokkor MD 28/2.8.? All these lenses cost me 4 to 6 times less then the cost of this noct. Nikkor. Today, almost any of the equally expensive lenses for digital must be much sharper and have a better color rendition than this noct. Nikkor. Are we talking about a collectible item?
    Truth is the selers maintain high prices while the number of buyers vanishes each day. But it is OK, it's their business. The next task for the last standing camera manufacturers is to make the use of adaptors and, concequently, older lenses impossible. I think it is time for them to start working in this direction. Whoever wants to "downshift" will use film cameras and "older" digital.
    I despise those, who create their own "reality", and especially those, who try to create wisdom of their own. This is "violation of concept". When one is unable to embrace what he perceives, he creates a smaller world for himself that he can embrace, and switches off the perception.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin