Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,910   Posts: 1,584,669   Online: 859

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

noct nikkor, why is it so expensive?

why is the noct nikkor so ridiculously expensive, is it really THAT good or is it hype?

Personally, I do not see much benefit for having a f1.2 lens over a f1.4 lens but people by them. The price for SLR 50mm f1.2 is somewhat reasonable, I guess, but those 58mm f1.2 Nikkors cost much much more than 50mm f1.2 lenses.
    Last edited by msbarnes; 01-22-2013 at 07:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Better? That is a matter of opinion and can vary for a lot of reasons. It is faster, and that is a fact. I have one, like it. I usually use a slower lens, the F:1.4, for all around use.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The Nikkor 50mm f1.2 is priced at $699 at B&H Photo. I think this is a very reasonable price for a speed lens which performs very well at f2 if you need to shoot in really low light levels. The Leitz 50mm f.95 is $11,000!

Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting specs but check out the price history -> Nikon 58mm f/1.2 Noct-NIKKOR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    supply and demand?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    i will stick with my f2.8 and f4 with a 6x6

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I read somewhere that the 58mm f1.2 NOCT-Nikkor was supposedly designed primarily for wide open performance. That stopped down it became a very average or less performer. You only bought one because you were always in the dark (so to speak).

I don't own and have never used one, so that was all heresay to me. But it sounded possible...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    supply and demand plus the cost of making a short run -- which on a per unit basis would be high. That's why the leitz .95 is so expensive.

why a short run? Very few people need or want a lens that fast -- it is a special purpose lens which, when wide open, has such narrow depth of field that it is difficult to use.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikon recently filed a patent on a new 58mm 1.2G lens so we may see one come back with autofocus which is critical at f1.2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess my question is what makes the noct nikkor so special? i can understand why it is more expensive than the 50mm f1.4, for sure, but what I did not understand is why is it so much more expensive than the 50mm f1.2. I haven't dug into this too much because I figured some Nikon aficionado would chime in.

From ebay, the cheapest 58mm f1.2 lens sold for $2,500 compared to the $329 for the 50mm f1.2 version. The value is rising or has risen too, I think. It seems that the 58mm version is aspherical and the 50mm version is not. I thoguht aspherical designs is somewhat normal these days for fast glass.
    Last edited by msbarnes; 01-23-2013 at 02:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin