Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,581   Online: 877

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    TBH the only problem with those Pentax zooms is the weight and relatively slow maximum aperture. Pentax had a habit of sacrificing speed in favour of image quality.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another option that you can consider is the Vivitar 70-210 Series 1 Zoom. Back in the early 90s I paid well over $200 for mine but they go for much, much less now. The early versions with the f3.5 aperture are extremely good lenses. I worked with just that zoom and the Pentax 50mm f2 for a good many years before I could afford anything else.
    This is a recent example that is going for $31 with shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIVITAR-SERI...item3cce299ec6

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    I consider the following to be a terrific lens kit for the cameras you own. SMC Pentax M 35mm f3.5 (a beautiful wide angle), SMC Pentax M 50mm f1.7 (the perfect fast normal for low light), SMC Pentax M 135mm f/3.5 (a marvelous portrait lens), and the SMC Pentax M 200mm f/4 (a light, but very good, telephoto). If you keep your eyes open you can usually pick up each of these at or below your price point. They are very good lenses and are very sharp and effective. Because they are not the "speediest" in the land they don't usually get a lot of attention so can be picked up quite reasonably. I use these lenses a lot with my K1000 and they never cease to exceed my expectations. I think it will be a long, long time before I actually outgrow these lenses, if ever.

Later, if you want, you can go looking for a nice 50mm Macro though these will typically go for a little bit higher than what you want to pay right now. The only other one I might consider would be the SMC Pentax M 85mm f/2 (a very capable short telephoto.)
    Best advice here. Better second it.

I mainly use the 50mm 1.4 and find it incredible--truly a brilliant lens. I did an 11x14 print of an Acros 100 negative and the person I gave it to thought it was from my Mamiya 7. Ha! It's hard to go wrong with the Pentax line up.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    if you cannot get the 50mm f1.4, get the 50mm f1.7. For reference, check out this informal comparison:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/digital...n/photostream/

I cannot comment on the wides. For the 135mm, get an SMC, M or A version. Do NOT get the "Pentax Bayonet" lens. They are horribly built and I do not think they were multicoated. The f3.5 is great, and compact as well.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    35mm
    the 135 mm/f2.5 and the 24 mm/f3.5 SMC (in M42 thread version) are a dream as well as the 150 mm/f4.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    Do NOT get the "Pentax Bayonet" lens. They are horribly built and I do not think they were multicoated.
    I think you mean Takumar Bayonet?

These were multicoated, just not SMC. Some of them aren't too shabby, others are horrible. They were sold as a cheap alternative to the full SMC Pentax lenses.

Especially don't be taken in by the 135mm f2.5, it isn't the same lens as the SMC Pentax or M42-mount Takumars but some people seem to think it's worth a lot more than it is.

Weirdly the Takumar Bayonet 135mm f2.8 is reckoned to be decent enough. I have the 28mm f2.8 (mechanically and optically identical to the later version of the Pentax-M 28mm f2.8, just with non-SMC coatings) which is certainly sharp but suffers from rather insipid colour reproduction. Use it on a bright sunny day and it's pretty acceptable, but given that you can get a Pentax-M 28mm f3.5 for about the same money now I wouldn't advise buying the Tak Bayonet lens.

In general if you avoid any lens which doesn't have "SMC" in its name you should be ok. The non-SMC ones can be fun to play around with but if your budget is tight you should aim for a smaller collection of better lenses.
    Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, although the problems with KEH, BHPhoto and Adorama is that the postage is often far too expensive to justify buying the equipment from the UK so for now I think I'll just stick with eBay.

Thanks again everyone for all the advice, very helpful! I think I will try to get these lenses: SMC 28mm f/3.5, (maybe a 35mm f/3.5 but they seem a bit more expensive), SMC 50mm f/1.7 (or f/1.4 if I find one cheap), and an SMC 135mm f/3.5, or if I can find one an SMC 120mm f/2.8. Does that sound good for me? I think I'll also have a look at some reviews etc. of the M42 mount pentax lenses, as a few of them seem quite good.

Also I found a black MX with SMC 50mm f/1.7 for £65, it looks in good condition with only a bit of paint loss, especially compared to my MX and has new light seals, is that a good price I should think about? Or shall I wait and see if I can get anything cheaper?

Thanks
    James

My 500px Profile --> http://500px.com/James_EG

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by James-EG View Post
    Also I found a black MX with SMC 50mm f/1.7 for £65, it looks in good condition with only a bit of paint loss, especially compared to my MX and has new light seals, is that a good price I should think about? Or shall I wait and see if I can get anything cheaper?
    Buy.

You should also check out some of the bricks-and-mortar shops online, like Carmarthen Cameras and Ffordes - they often have good bargains.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by artobest View Post
    Buy.

You should also check out some of the bricks-and-mortar shops online, like Carmarthen Cameras and Ffordes - they often have good bargains.
    Okay I'll try to, and thanks I'll have a look
    James

My 500px Profile --> http://500px.com/James_EG

Shooter
    35mm
    2 pages and no one mentioned M 40mm f2.8, no love for the pancake?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin