Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,325   Online: 903

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PDH View Post
    With an adpator you can work many excellent M 42s.
    Does the camera still work the aperture with an M42 to K adaptor?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post

Steve.
    still work but it's no longer open aperture metering, it becomes stop down aperture metering with the M42-K adapter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post

Steve.
    No. With Takumar lenses the MAN/AUTO switch is used to close the diaphragm to the selected aperture. Lenses without a switch will have to be used at maximum aperture, unless the lens has been somehow modified.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by oceanpriest View Post
    2 pages and no one mentioned M 40mm f2.8, no love for the pancake?

It's a lovely little thing, but probably outside the OP's budget. I've yet to see one for less than £70 in the UK.

It even makes the larger K series bodies into (coat) pocket cameras, and the field of view is usefully wider than 50mm.
    Matt

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    No. With Takumar lenses the MAN/AUTO switch is used to close the diaphragm to the selected aperture. Lenses without a switch will have to be used at maximum aperture, unless the lens has been somehow modified.
    I have 10 to 12 Takumar lens ranging from 24mm to 400mm I have never seen a Takumar M 42 lens that is not either pre set of have the swith. Does anyone have one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PentaxBronica View Post
    It's a lovely little thing, but probably outside the OP's budget. I've yet to see one for less than £70 in the UK.

It even makes the larger K series bodies into (coat) pocket cameras, and the field of view is usefully wider than 50mm.
    Yes they are out of my budget, the cheapest on eBay at the moment is still over £90 I think
    James

My 500px Profile --> http://500px.com/James_EG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I spent a lot of time wondering what lenses would make a complete setup for me. So over the years I have collected the following lenses for my two Pentax KX bodies:
    Pentax SMC 28mm f/3.5
    Pentax SMC 35mm f/2
    Pentax SMC 50mm f/1.4
    Pentax SMC 55mm f/2
    Pentax SMC 100mm f/2.8
    All of the lenses perform absolutely mindbendingly well. But I only ever use the 35mm and the 50mm. It's very rare that I use any of the other ones, as excellent and useful as they are.
    The 55mm f/2 lens is a really amazing performer, and great for portraits. Really good wide open, and mindboggling at f/2.8.
    The 28mm f/3.5 is the best wide angle lens I've ever used in terms of sheer picture quality.
    Those are both fairly inexpensive and wonderful lenses to own; good substitutes for other more expensive lenses.
    Regarding the 135mm f/3.5 - it was one of those lenses I owned for a decade and used maybe five times. I gave it to a friend who got a Pentax K1000, and she has used it a handful times in the last two years. I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. I found it a bit too long for portraiture, and a bit too short for long distance shooting. For street photography it's tough because of its max f/3.5 aperture, and you need something like a 1/250th second shutter time to get a decently sharp picture. So, it's one of those focal lengths that have proven less than useful for me. But you may have a need for a medium telephoto lens that I don't anticipate.

Good luck!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I spent a lot of time wondering what lenses would make a complete setup for me. So over the years I have collected the following lenses for my two Pentax KX bodies:
    Pentax SMC 28mm f/3.5
    Pentax SMC 35mm f/2
    Pentax SMC 50mm f/1.4
    Pentax SMC 55mm f/2
    Pentax SMC 100mm f/2.8
    All of the lenses perform absolutely mindbendingly well. But I only ever use the 35mm and the 50mm. It's very rare that I use any of the other ones, as excellent and useful as they are.
    The 55mm f/2 lens is a really amazing performer, and great for portraits. Really good wide open, and mindboggling at f/2.8.
    The 28mm f/3.5 is the best wide angle lens I've ever used in terms of sheer picture quality.
    Those are both fairly inexpensive and wonderful lenses to own; good substitutes for other more expensive lenses.
    Regarding the 135mm f/3.5 - it was one of those lenses I owned for a decade and used maybe five times. I gave it to a friend who got a Pentax K1000, and she has used it a handful times in the last two years. I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. I found it a bit too long for portraiture, and a bit too short for long distance shooting. For street photography it's tough because of its max f/3.5 aperture, and you need something like a 1/250th second shutter time to get a decently sharp picture. So, it's one of those focal lengths that have proven less than useful for me. But you may have a need for a medium telephoto lens that I don't anticipate.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely go for the SMC 28mm f/3.5 and SMC 50mm f/1.7, and I would prefer to get an 85mm or 100mm lens than a 135mm but the 135 is the most affordable for me, so I would have to get that then decide later if it's too long. I also think I'll see if I can get a SMC 35mm f/3.5 if I can find one as I think I would need something between 28 and 50mm.

Also I found an MX for £120, it comes with a 50mm f/2, strap, new batteries and has been fully serviced with a year guarantee, is it worth it?
    James

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    about $190 US, I see a few MXs in C condition without a lens running for $180 or so, seems to be a fair price.

Shooter
    35mm
    Okay I will really think about buying it, although there is one bidding in similar condition (although not serviced so may need new mirror foam or something) with a SMC 50mm f/1.7 that started at 99p and is now only on £1.04 so I'll have to keep an eye on it!
    James

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin