Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,904   Posts: 1,521,237   Online: 1086

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    If you are doing long exposures, why does the meter readout matter?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Why didn't they put a white screen behind the indictor"

That's what they did on the F2 photomic head. Very easy to see in any lighting condition.

Shooter
    35mm
    But of course no F2 photomic head is considered match needle metering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Then we must have two different definitions of match needle metering.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    Then we must have two different definitions of match needle metering.
    No doubt.
    Go to page 26 of the FE manual and you will note that Nikon states this is "match needle method" -> http://www.cameramanuals.org/nikon_pdf/nikon_fe.pdf
    Got to page 14 of the F2A manual and you will note that Nikon states to "center the needle" -> http://www.cameramanuals.org/nikon_p...nder_dp-11.pdf

May seem like a technicality . . .

Shooter
    35mm
    Perhaps I'm confused here. When doing long exposures, why does one need to see the meter reading? I've done many long exposures with my FM, FE and FE-2. Because of film reciprocity, I usually dial in +2 on the exposure compensation dial, lock-up the shutter, and let the camera do the rest. It's really that simple. Am I missing something in this conversation?

Shooter
    35mm
    You're not missing anything, the OP was questioning why Nikon didn't learn from the 1983 released FE2 and incorporated that same design into the 2001 released FM3A. He imagined this would be an annoyance to people shooting snap shots in bars/etc.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know if I am right or wrong but I always understand that match needles metering is like that of the FE and F2A is center the needle. I learned about the term since 1976 when I was reading a bunch of photographic magazine to research for my very first camera. And thus the Pentax KX is match needles and the K1000 is center the needle. Both the Olympus OM1 and OM2 are center the needle type.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by henry finley View Post
    The Nikkormat was Nikon's best and most user-friendly camera.
    You're entitled to your opinion but it's hardly the case in general. The Nikkormat's were made and sold for less than the Nikon's and if it was true Nikon and a whole lot of its customers made serious mistakes for many years.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I don't know if I am right or wrong but I always understand that match needles metering is like that of the FE and F2A is center the needle.
    "Match needle" refers to matching the needle to a desired, specific aperture or shutter speed.

"Center-the-needle" refers to centering the needle between fixed + and - indicators [or in some cases a fixed needle with an open circle on the end] by varying aperture and/or shutter speed irrespective of the specific values of each.

In the case of the Nikon F2 with a DP-11/12 finder and ADR you end up with what is effectively a hybrid match needle/center-the-needle system.
    Last edited by f8&bthere; 01-27-2013 at 01:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin