Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,932   Posts: 1,522,196   Online: 1062

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by henry finley View Post
    The Nikkormat was Nikon's best and most user-friendly camera.
    Great camera, mirror lock up, solid construction. Low price for a Nikon and great quality, made them popular. I still have the one I purchased new.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiron Kid View Post
    When doing long exposures, why does one need to see the meter reading?
    I find it helpful to see the meter so I can set relative shutter and aperture settings to my liking...for the exposure I desire.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiron Kid View Post
    I usually...let the camera do the rest.
    It's all about doing whatever works. Sometimes aperture priority, other times...manual mode.

Def 1) reflects the fact that there are two 'needles' visible in the viewfinder. One is the 'meter needle' (black). The other is the 'shutter speed/mode indicator needle'. When the needles are 'matched' or aligned you have the most divinely-inspired, optimal exposure for 18% gray... Def 2) 'match' the shutter speed needle with the desired speed shown in the display...that would be 'overlay'.

Quote Originally Posted by f8&bthere View Post
    In the case of the Nikon F2 with a DP-11/12 finder and ADR you end up with what is effectively a hybrid match needle/center-the-needle system.
    ADR has nothing to do with match-needle metering. The difference in data gleaned from the meters of an FE2/FM3a vs. F2AS is significant, assuming enough light to see the former. Operative word: meter.

Quote Originally Posted by henry finley View Post
    Ever try to take a meter reading with an F or F2 when it was dark above your head? Useless.
    Ever shoot an F2SB or F2AS? In fact you can hold these cameras over your head and see metering info!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aja B View Post
    ADR has nothing to do with match-needle metering.
    Never said that ADR affected the metering itself.

What I said was that with ADR on a center-the-needle camera you have what is effectively a hybrid match-needle/center-the-needle system in that you can see the aperture as you change it while at the same time you can see how that affects the exposure without taking your eye away from the viewfinder - which is the biggest benefit of a match-needle system.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by f8&bthere View Post
    Never said that ADR affected the metering itself.

What I said was that with ADR on a center-the-needle camera you have what is effectively a hybrid match-needle/center-the-needle system in that you can see the aperture as you change it while at the same time you can see how that affects the exposure without taking your eye away from the viewfinder - which is the biggest benefit of a match-needle system.
    So what do you call a typical modern SLR meter display i.e. the Nikon F5. Both shutter speed and aperture are displayed in the viewfinder plus a bargraph with +/- 2EV in 1/3EV increment?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    So what do you call a typical modern SLR meter display i.e. the Nikon F5. Both shutter speed and aperture are displayed in the viewfinder plus a bargraph with +/- 2EV in 1/3EV increment?
    ???

A modern, full information, electronic LCD/LED bar graph meter display?

With needle displays there is an electromechanical linkage which physically moves the needle in direct response to changes in light, aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. With modern meter displays nothing physically moves.

But yes, I suppose you can refer to modern LCD/LED bar graph and over/under displays as "match-needle" or "center-the-needle" in the same way that some people still refer to modern sofas as divans.
    Last edited by f8&bthere; 01-27-2013 at 09:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    kironkid - yes, what les sarile said.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin