Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,232   Posts: 1,532,897   Online: 955

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any and all filters will degrade lens optical performance very, very slightly. It does pay to buy the most expensive filter you can afford. Too many people make the sad mistake of slapping a $5.00 bottle top on a $3,000 apo lens and wonder how they could manage to "waste so much money on that lens!". Modern filter spectral coatings have reduced light transmission lost to around 1%, sometimes as low as 0.3%. None of this of course is visible in the end result.

If a lens has worn coating, scratches, fungi or whatnot, it's not a given that any particular filter will improve the optical performance; it can't: a filter is just there to alter the characteristic of the light entering the lens. A damaged lens may well produce much more flare with a filter than without because a filter is an additional layer of glass and thus an extra reflective surface.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    At risk of introducing another variable into the conversation.
    A good polarizing screen - granted difficult to use on your Leicas - will boost the color and BW contrast of any lens.
    Most people will pick out the higher contrast photo as being the better photo.
    Given that lower contrast is the primary effect of flare, a polarizing screen used with a lens hood should give you the best you can get out of any particular lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    ... the trouble with common sense is that it isn't all that common, ...
    I am glad that I am not the only one to realize this.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    I am glad that I am not the only one to realize this.
    also, if there are no stupid questions, then, the world must be full with inquisitive idiots.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    127 Format
    I have had photos with weird reflections from the filter. I didn't realize how often it happened to me until I went back and looked at hundreds of old pictures. It was over 20%.

I mostly take outdoor photos in sunny/daylight conditions. But I also had a lot of flash photos where it happened.

I also learned that I don't like polarizers either because they kill sparkly highlights like what you get on water.

I seldom use a filter now but I try to always use a lens hood.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Filters won´t reduce flair. For that purpose, a large lens hood or compendium shade is a better recommendation.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin