Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,945   Online: 790

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm lost

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey.... can I pay for my stuff in APUG classified with food? How about Sushi? I can't make bread but can make sushi....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    It is very good. And I live in Utah county. And the info I am receiving from you all is awesome! Thanks for the help!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another book recommendation. To my taste, A. A. Blaker's book Field Photography (look for it on, e.g., abebooks.com, alibris.com, amazon.com) is the best beginner's introduction to photography ever written. It is far, far superior to sketchy and somewhat random advice delivered via bulletin board.

Images
    Seems to me I have heard of someone in the Provo area. Too far north for me. Call the local community college to see if they have a regular non digital photo course you can take. In my opinion it would be well worth the money. When I got started I took a class and that led to the addiction I am dealing with today. Who knew that the little 35mm camera would morph into an 8x10.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's a bit more info on how film speed, shutter speed and aperture are related.

Start off with your film speed on a bright sunny day...
    If your film is iso400 try these settings

Shutter speed is aproximatly 1/iso gives 1/400 but camera shutter speed which is the closest is 500 that translates to 1/500 of a second.
    Aperture should be set on f16 for the bright sunny day.

So shutter 500 and aperture set on f16 allows a certain amount of light to hit your film and make the correct exposure.

There must be more to it than that you say...
    Well...

If you were to change your shutter speed to 1/1000 (1000 on shutter speed setting) and
    change your aperture to f11, you will allow the exact same amount of light to strike the film...

It is one shutter speed FASTER to give 1/2 the time for light to hit the film BUT...
    it is also one f stop opening larger (bit confusing because smaller f stop opens up the blades in the lens more) allowing 2x the light to pass through the lens...

Final result... 1/2 the time by 2x the lens opening gives same exposure!

You will soon learn why we chose different shutter speed and f stop combinations for particular photos to accentuate what we are trying to show in our photos.

Hope this makes sense to you...

It is intended to give you some info one spoonful at a time.

Welcome to APUG from another Noobe to this site.
    Sometimes I'm Brilliant but most times I'm Just Myself!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh... The other three variables in getting the PROPER film exposure are...

The film speed (ISO rating)
    The intensity of light (sunny day, cloudy day, late evening, campfire etc.)

You will soon learn which film to choose.
    You will soon learn how to use either your camera's built in light meter or a hand held meter.

No more on those items...

As I said... one spoonful at a time.
    Sometimes I'm Brilliant but most times I'm Just Myself!

Shooter
    35mm
    Sweet this is good stuff! I have done some research but I can't figure out what flash I can use... Any suggestions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ps1821 View Post
    Sweet this is good stuff! I have done some research but I can't figure out what flash I can use... Any suggestions?
    Use any electronic flash. Just select the correct synch speed(s). That is explained in your owner's manual.

Shooter
    35mm
    And another question. Is there another kind of battery that I can buy instead of Mercury? (They don't make them anymore I guess)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin