Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,028   Online: 701

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DF

Minolta XK - Need Advice

I'm trying to find one, but all I need is it to be in minimal working condition - what I mean is this: I don't need the meter to work, just as long as I can set it to work manually - I set the aperature and shutter speed. Can one do that on this Frankensteinish camera because it seems to be so rooted down in its electronics. I'm drawn to it because of it's waiste-level finder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you don't already have an investment in Minolta lenses, take a look at the Nikon F series
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    Start with a manual because not only is the XK an aperture priority camera - set aperture and it will decide the shutter speed, but it is also a full manual - set shutter and aperture, kind of camera.
    It has the highest sync speed of all the pro titanium horizontal shutter interchangeable viewfinder pro bodies. It is also the most quiet shutter of the bunch.

Check out -> http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...taxk/index.htm
    Last edited by Les Sarile; 01-26-2013 at 02:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    A beautiful camera that I much coveted in the 70's but could not afford. Almost as rare as hens teeth though now.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    If you are looking for a waist level finder camera for not much money Exaktas used to be cheap, but they are holding their value. ( I really hate to say the next part) Miranda Sensorex cameras are plentiful, their lenses pretty good and you can nearly always find one for $30-60 at
    www.shopgoodwill.com

David

Shooter
    35mm
    I wonder if you can find a waist level finder for the XK. It seems quite rare.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A beautiful camera, one that I always wanted. Hard to find though, at least in the U.S. They do pop up on eBay, and can occasionally be found at KEH. Harder yet to find accessories. Just keep at it, it may take a few months, but you'll eventually find one.

Jim B

Shooter
    35mm
    Like its peers, you can remove the finder and use it in waist view mode. But unlike its peers, there is no shutter speed indication without a finder attached. You can use the the index pin for where the A position is in relation to the shutter speeds.

Shooter
    35mm
    OKay Les! I remember back in 84, I was 26 then, and I was photographing the Jefferson Memorial in Washington, DC at around midnight. I had to place the camera on the ground because I had no tripod. Didn't want to lay down on the ground I removed the viewfinder and composed/focused with the plain ground glass screen and the pic came out perfectly fine. Now I can't well enough doing so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is the camera capable of working without a battery?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin