Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,446   Online: 817

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

nikon fe - rewind issue

OK, this was my first roll of film through my Nikon FE, so I'm not sure if I'm just missing something or what.

First, I will say when I loaded the film, I had a hard time popping the knob and getting the back open. I pretty much forgot about it after that (been a month or two).

Yesterday I used up the roll...I assume...it got to 36 on the counter, and after what would be 37, it made a different sound when I wound it. When I went to rewind the film (yes, I pushed the button on the bottom), it started off seeming like it was winding, but very quickly turned without resistance (as in, probably just a couple revolutions, not enough to have rewound the film). I re-read the manual to see if I was missing something, but I don't see anything. Somewhere online it said to pull the knob up slightly (not enough to open the back) and turn in that position. Well, the knob won't pull up at all. I've moved the little locking lever counterclockwise as far as it goes, and still it won't budge.

Am I missing something? I'll admit I'm still relatively new to 35mm SLR's, having only shot a few rolls on my previous Canon AE-1 Program (one roll that I had a hard time rewinding on it...but it was missing the lever completely) before switching to the FE.

Just as added info: this was an ebay FE, which was listed as good used condition, and I believe "not tested." It had a dead battery when I got it and so the shutter wouldn't fire except in B and M90, with new batteries the shutter & meter seemed to be working fine through the roll. I'm thinking when I loaded the film I also had a problem opening the back, despite following all instructions, and it eventually (and for no good reason that I remember) just finally opened as it should.

Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm

nikon fe - rewind issue

Hi. Sorry to hear about your FE problems. I've just looked at mine to confirm how loading/rewind works. To open the back, pull up rewind knob and turn small safety lever anti-clockwise. The knob should lift a bit further and the back pops open. You have to hold the safety lever in position while lifting. When you get to the end of the film, return the winding crank to its"rest" position, push in the button on the camera base and rewind. The wind-on can stop mid-wind at the end of the film. Don't force it any further. The button on the base should click into place when pushed. It returns to its original position with the next throw of the wind-on crank. Be careful not to use the wind-on, therefore, when the rewind button has been pushed in. It sounds like you may have accidentally snapped the film, perhaps by winding on too far. I hope that's not the case, but you'll know when you get it open. One other thing that could cause the back to stick is the condition of the light-seal foam. It deteriorates with time into a sticky mass. It's easy to replace if that has happened. There are kits available on the Internet, and the FE is certainly a camera worth fixing. The foam kits are not expensive. I hope you get it working. Alex.

Shooter
    35mm
    Is the film still in the camera?

It sounds rather like you've wound on too far and pulled the film out of the canister. The bit about a 'different sound' makes me think this.

"Yesterday I used up the roll...I assume...it got to 36 on the counter, and after what would be 37, it made a different sound when I wound it"
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    sound more as if he neglected -- first timers do this all the time -- to make sure the film was advancing properly and when he rewound there was only a coupla inches of film to pull back in.

winding the film rarely breaks the film off -- more likely you rip the film holes. that "ka-chik-ka-chick" sound is unmistakable.

hard to think how you did that without loading prooperly, though.

I dunno -- open the camera, take the film out, see what shape it's in.

this is why it is best to take a roll of film you don't care about and practice loading, firing and unloading a few times. you get these mistakes out of the way.

by the way, sometimes when you pull the rewind lever up the back doesn't open because it is sprung open by a spring that pushes on the film cartridge -- no film, no push, so you have to pull on it a bit.
    Last edited by summicron1; 01-26-2013 at 12:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I as just about to write that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies. Didn't think I'd have wound too far on it, as it was a roll of 36, and isn't there generally an extra exposure or two? I tried to be careful not to apply too much pressure once I got up to the end of the roll (at least what I assumed was the end of the roll, but not if I didn't load properly).

That being said, I can't even open the back to check the film or its current state. The rewind knob doesn't budge trying to pull it up to pop open the back. I know there's the lever...I've moved it back and forth multiple times trying to make sure it's in place. But the knob won't budge. ??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i don't have an fe in front of me, but if it does have a lever on the rewind knob, it is usually on the front side of the camera right at the base of the rewind knob -- you push the lever forward (it is spring loaded) with one finger and pull out on the knob with the others.

perhaps the knob is stuck in the film can somehow? Pull a bit harder -- nothing to lose. but don't use a pliers or anything.

Shooter
    Large Format
    As mentioned in #7, there is a lock that must be undone to pull the knob up.

See the left-hand photo on page 7 of the manual. It shows the small spring-loaded unlocking lever that must be rotated towards the back of the camera to unlock the knob so that it can be pulled up.

http://www.cameramanuals.org/nikon_pdf/nikon_fe.pdf

Shooter
    35mm
    I just tried. Pulling as hard as I can, no movement. While I admit I'm still somewhat new to this, I used my dad's SLR back in the mid 90's without issue, and never had an issue popping the back of the AE-1, or the Yashica MG-1, or Nikon FA. Just seems odd to me.

And of course, stinks knowing even if I get the film out...it's probably already ruined, or will be if it's sitting there waiting to be exposed. I had intended this to be a test roll, but I still don't like losing images. Such is life though.

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh and yes, that's the lever I was saying that I've moved back and forth multiple times. I've rotated it as far in the stated direction as it will go. It doesn't make a difference.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin