Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,583,003   Online: 1060

Shooter
    Multi Format

Pentax H1a service manual

When I was given an old Nikkormat, it took about five minutes to find a downloadable service manual and print out the pages I needed.

I'm having no such luck with the H1a I just acquired. It came to me with a sticking second curtain; application of a tiny bit of furnace oil to the curtain drum bushings freed it, and now it works just fine - all speeds are in the ballpark including the non-existant 1/1000, X synch works, and it sounds "right". But, it needs a complete CLA and I need to know things like how far to tension the curtains and what all the adjustment screws with red paint locking them do.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I don't remember if it is for the H1a and I'm not sure it is service manual or an exploded view/part list but, I have something in a drawer at home. I'll be back there Sunday night. If I can find it and it seems useful to you, I'll send it to you...please send me a PM or email.

Shooter
    35mm
    There is a comprehensive National Camera Spotmatic service manual that may be useful -> Robertstech manuals

Shooter
    35mm
    As I understand it all the basic design is the same, but was tweaked for the Spotmatic to make it less vulnerable to shutter capping.

The problem may be with the search term. I think the H1a was sold as the S1a (or SV for the next model up, same basic design but with 1/1000 marking and a self timer) outside the USA. H is of course the initial of Honeywell, who imported them as "Honeywell Pentax" while everywhere else had them as "Asahi Pentax". If you try looking for an S1a or SV manual you may have more luck.
    Matt

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    There is a comprehensive National Camera Spotmatic service manual that may be useful -> Robertstech manuals
    Access to this document is blocked depending on IP-address region.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look on this website, the S1a/H1a issimilar to the SV and S3, it's a model inbetween.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Look on this website, the S1a/H1a issimilar to the SV and S3, it's a model inbetween.

Ian
    Bingo. Thank you Ian, and thank you all very much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PentaxBronica View Post
    As I understand it all the basic design is the same, but was tweaked for the Spotmatic to make it less vulnerable to shutter capping.

The problem may be with the search term. I think the H1a was sold as the S1a (or SV for the next model up, same basic design but with 1/1000 marking and a self timer) outside the USA. H is of course the initial of Honeywell, who imported them as "Honeywell Pentax" while everywhere else had them as "Asahi Pentax". If you try looking for an S1a or SV manual you may have more luck.
    You are correct, the fact that the H prefix was used only in the US didn't occur to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The camera is now working like new, and according to the label on the oil it's good to minus 75f(!). Thanks all!
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 01-30-2013 at 01:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin