Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,486   Online: 919

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Weird light marks on ektar 100, any ideas what might have caused them ?

Hi, so i recently repaired the light seals on my AE-1 because the existing ones were pretty much just black goop, anyway after doing it i saw no problems with it and ran probably about 10-15 rolls of film through it without problem. However i got some ektar recently and put it through and there are red light leaks on pretty much every frame. What confuses me is the regular shape and placement which in my mind doesn't line up with the whole "light leaking in to the camera occasionally" idea.

Anyway i have attached a contact sheet, if anyone could give me any advice on what might be causing them, be it a problem with the film (unlikely i cant imagine kodak have a particularly high fail rate) or with camera or with lens. It may be worth mentioning that my lap recently hired a work experience student but i'm guessing its probably not his fault

Any insight would be appreciated as i am somewhat stumped.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_mhar0iDtDj1qatkcao1_1280.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	858.7 KB 
ID:	63210

Thanks
    Samuel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A problem area in many cameras is not within the film gate/mask, but in the stretch between the film gate and the supply or takeup spool. I would start by checking the seals near the hinge side of your AE-1 for this one. The fact that the location seems near identical on every frame makes me think it isn't a lab problem. (I am assuming there is a dark spot on each negative; e.g., it's not a weird printing error.)

(This also reminds me, I need to replace the seals in the AE-1 I inherited from my dad.)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah they are on the negs as well, i rarely get prints by default and only get them made up from certain frames if needed. I hadn't thought about leaks on the take-up side, that would make perfect sense. I will wait till i have used the last few shots on the roll in there at the moment and check the seals.
    Thanks for your help
    Samuel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In fact if you look at 0013 & 0014 they were two photos i took at the same time, taking, winding on and taking again without moving my hand away from the hinge side and letting light in that would totally line up with your theory. I think you may have cracked it DWThomas thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It seems strange that this should appear on your, say 16th film after replacing the seals. I have known cassette seals to be faulty, but very rarely and usually this would be least obvious on the first part of the film. As your results show some consistancy I think DWThomas is probably correct. Did you replace the hinge seal? It seems unusual that this should only show itself now.
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Shooter
    35mm
    Does the AE-1 have a film reminder window in the back? If so perhaps the rectangular foam light seal around the window is missing a section

Shooter
    35mm
    It has a solid back, no window. But it doesn't need to leak in there... light can bounce around in funny ways onces it gets inside.
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Further off the wall speculation -- it might have just now appeared after a number of rolls because a little bit of attachment adhesive worked its way into a bad spot and tore a chunk out of a seal when the back was opened.

The struck area is toward the bottom of the image, hence near the top of the camera, as the image is inverted on the film. My AE-1 is temporarily inaccessible, but I recall some cameras have a little nub sticking up in the light seal channel that resets the film counter when the back is opened and closed. If that is true of the AE-1, there might be something awry there, as there could be a bit of a gap in the seal.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks so much for all your responses the community here is wonderfully helpful but unfortunately the problem is continuing.

DWThomas i was looking at the counter reset lever thing in my ae-1 today and thinking that may be the culprit however i have added a more light seal and even gone to the extent of wrapping the entire edge of the closed back in black lightproof tape

What really bloody confuses me is that the leaks whilst consistently placed they are completley indiscriminate even appearing in a frame where my flash hadn't quite recharged and as such was a totally black frame (see image #67760001 & 67760016 of attached contact sheet)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tapedsheet.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	64870

But then dont appear at all on fully lit daylight frames. I know for a fact this was the roll i tested with it black tape across all the hinges, the closing and latching side, top and bottom joins for the back door and even over the missing battery cover on the front. So this somewhat rules out light leaks from the malfunctioning door.

So i think it must be one of the following
    - Light leaking in through the top of the camera somehow shutter winder, shutter speed dial, etc.
    - Something is up with the lens although inspecting it showed no issues with any of the functions like aperture blades.
    - Something to do with a the mirror or focus screen, doubtful but i'm clutching at straws
    - The lab has some sort of broken step of their development machine that exposes occasional frames to light.

This has got me totally baffled, especially the leaks on the blank frames and I'm getting ever closer to convincing myself I'm gonna have to just get a Nikon FM2 to replace it ... My overdraft would suffer terribly but at least i wouldn't be wasting £8 rolls of film.

Any tips ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is going to sound really strange.

Is there any chance that:
    1) these were actually shot with a different camera - one with a window in the back; or
    2) your camera has had the back switched with one that has a window in it?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin