Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,173   Online: 1012

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Cat peed on my lens...HELP!

Woke up yesterday to a strange sound and found out that my cat had peed on my 400mm lens. What are my options for repair/cleaning? Fortunately (for both me and my cat) it's a non electronic lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good job it wasn't my lens or I would be working out what to do to the cat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bray View Post
    She's 17 and has a UTI. It's partly my fault for not putting the lens away, she didn't know what she was doing.
    I just need to know what to do with my lens now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bray View Post
    love it, very funny.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would take it to the local camera repair shop, right away, and have the lens overhauled. Make sure they know it has been wet. I'm sure they can dry out any residual moisture and do the proper lubrication to avoid future problems.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    First, pop it in a sealed container along with some uncooked rice - This will help to draw out the moisture.
    Second step, send it out for a real good CLA - Whilst the glass may remain unaffected, it could damge any coatings and will certainly corode the shutter internals if left for any length of time.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    oh , 400mm lens , very expensive , good luck. I love cats , one cat climbs my 5 story building everynight , she calls me from the door and I love her and go outside together.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You need to consider whether the lens was soaked enough for cat piss to get inside.
    If not, any disinfecting household cleaner should do the job for the exterior parts. (Formula 409, etc.) Be careful and keep away from the glass and critical parts. Use lens cleaner on those areas just like you normally would.
    If it has been soaked through, it's going to need to be taken apart to be cleaned. In that case, you need to decide whether the cost of having it cleaned is worth it. You might just be able to get a new lens from Ebay, etc., for cheaper than it costs to clean.

You could try to clean it yourself, provided you remember the old saying:
    There are two kinds of people who would disassemble an antique pocket watch; watchmakers and fools.
    Point being, that you consider the lens lost and the repair attempt to be a learning experiment. If you repair it, good for you! If you can't, nothing lost. You'd still have to buy a new lens.

Finally, I think you also need to consider what to do with the cat. If it is so old and so sick that it has to piss all over the house, maybe it's time for the cat to make a graceful exit from this life.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Cat peed on my lens...HELP!

Odo-Ban is a great odor remover. Unfortunately, it's a liquid, just like the source of the problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Speaking only of residual odor: wiping equipment with a Fabreeze dryer sheet and then storing the sheet in a box or bag with the equipment is a fairly effective way to minimize residual odors. I have used this in the past on cameras that came from a long-time smoker.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin