Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,351   Online: 1143

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by peters8 View Post
    John how do I recognize the 1.4 multicoated version?...
    Is there a particular identification?...In my Zuiko if I remember well (now it is not with me) there's this identification:
    "G.zuiko om-system Auto-s"...could this identification be right?...I'm sure that it was a G.Zuiko...Do you know something about this version/this serie?
    Thanks
    It will be marked "MC". At least mine is, as well as several other multicoated Zuikos I have.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    It will be marked "MC". At least mine is, as well as several other multicoated Zuikos I have.
    AFAIK only during the phase of transition from singlecoated to multicoated when there were sold both types at the same time, the multicoated lenses were denoted by MC. Later, when all new lenses were multicoated Olympus dropped the term.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John how do I recognize the 1.4 multicoated version?...
    Is there a particular identification?...In my Zuiko if I remember well (now it is not with me) there's this identification:
    "G.zuiko om-system Auto-s"...could this identification be right?...I'm sure that it was a G.Zuiko...Do you know something about this version/this serie?
    Thanks
    In general terms, single coated lenses are labeled with a letter of the alphabet and the name Zuiko. The letter used indicates how many elements are used: A=1, B=2, C=3, etc. Your G.Zuiko is a single coated lens. Some early production lenses were labeled with the letters MC to indicate multi-coating. Late production lenses are not specifically labeled as MC, but multi-coating was used on all lenses starting around the early 1980's. There were definitely differences in the way that lenses were labeled over the production run.

A couple of examples:

50mm f1.4 Zuiko AUTO-S
    Introduced as part of the original "M" system. Early examples are labeled as G.Zuiko and have silver colored accents around the filter mounting threads as well as the aperture ring: OLYMPUS OM-SYSTEM G.ZUIKO AUTO-S 1:1.4 f=50mm 470854. There was also a version of the G.Zuiko without the silver markings. When Olympus started to multi-coat all lenses, the 'G' was dropped and the lenses were labeled "MC". The last version was simply labeled as follows: OLYMPUS OM-SYSTEM ZUIKO AUTO-S 50mm 1:1.4 1123989 Japan. I used my serial number as an example and this is definitely a multi-coated lens.

35mm f2.0 Zuiko AUTO-W
    I have one with a low serial number that is a "Silver-nose". The complete labeling on the filter ring is: OLYMPUS OM-SYSTEM ZUIKO MC AUTO-W 1:2 f=35mm 106322 Japan.
    I have a version that was made a little later and does not have the silver accents that is labeled: OLYMPUS OM-SYSTEM ZUIKO MC AUTO-W 1:2 f=35mm 129334 Japan.
    The final version from after 1981 is labeled as follows: OLYMPUS OM-SYSTEM ZUIKO AUTO-W 35mm 1:2 1508xx made in Japan.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrich Drolshagen View Post
    AFAIK only during the phase of transition from singlecoated to multicoated when there were sold both types at the same time, the multicoated lenses were denoted by MC. Later, when all new lenses were multicoated Olympus dropped the term.
    That makes sense, the lenses I have were all purchased in the years 1985-1988.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks!

Does it change too much that they're simply just single-coated lenses or however this feature is not so negative after all?
    Thanks
    Ciao

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks!

Does it change too much that they're simply just single-coated lenses or however this feature is not so negative after all?
    Thanks
    Ciao
    The use of a lens shade is more important to the reduction of flare than the number of coatings IMHO.

Ulrich

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The use of a lens shade is more important to the reduction of flare than the number of coatings IMHO.

Ulrich
    I agree.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ulrich
    That's been my experience, too.

Shooter
    35mm
    The 2 versions of the 50 1.4 that are MC have elements with green/purple reflections. Type 5 has these reflections but does NOT have MC on the name ring. Type 4 (below serial number 1,110,000) has same reflections and DOES have MC on the name ring. Type 3-2-1 are single coated and have G Zuiko (meaning 7 elements, G being the 7th letter of the alphabet) on the name ring. SC coating may have a yellowish look. Last multicoated version with a shade will outperform any SC with a lens shade. John

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin