Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,326   Posts: 1,536,956   Online: 1193

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Zuiko 50 f1.4 or Zuiko 50 f1.4?

Some people told me that the Zuiko 50 f 1.8 is better than the Zuiko 50 f1.4.
    What do you recommend?
    Do I buy the zuiko 1.4 or the zuiko 1.8?
    Regards

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Buy one of each and do your own side by side comparison. Not all 1.4's are any better or worse than a 1.8. You will have to choose for yourself which you prefer.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Define "better".
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The earlier 50mm f/1.8 version OM lenses have higher scores in Modern Photography lens test, than the later 50mm f/1.8 version OM lenses...the older the better.
    Generally, optically the f/1.8 lenses have higher scores than the f/1.4 lenses, with no statistically signficant difference in the age of the design.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even the "worst" of the Zuiko 50mm lenses has a lot of quality.

The 50mm f/1.8 is small and very cheap.

Just make sure that the lens you choose is working well.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    127 Format
    The 1.8 are great lenses and very low priced.

But the 1.4 is more beautiful.

Buy the cleanest one you can find.
    Last edited by wblynch; 02-01-2013 at 02:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The 1.4 is has horrible color rendition when it is single-coated and probably poor color rendition when MC. I used a single coated.
    But it is sharp. Very good for B&W.
    If you do no slides, go for it.
    I despise those, who create their own "reality", and especially those, who try to create wisdom of their own. This is "violation of concept". When one is unable to embrace what he perceives, he creates a smaller world for himself that he can embrace, and switches off the perception.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LaChou View Post
    The 1.4 is has horrible color rendition when it is single-coated and probably poor color rendition when MC. I used a single coated.
    But it is sharp. Very good for B&W.
    If you do no slides, go for it.
    That's interesting. I had a single coated 1.4 and while the color rendition was fine, it was unuseable wide open - every bright spot had a reddish halo around it. I now have a later 1.4, multicoated, and can't see any difference in the colors, but it is reasonably sharp wide open.

My experience with 35mm standard lenses in general is that the slower ones are usually as good and often better - sometimes much better - than the fast options. I used a pre-AI f1.4 Nikkor until I discovered the 50/2 Nikkor-H; the 1.4 found a new home and I have an f2 on each of my Nikon bodies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar_guy View Post
    Define "better".
    In this case, most likely less flare, less distortion, better contrast, and higher (real or apparent) resolution.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Please! To buy an 1.4 lens for using it wide-open?
    I have always thought people buy them because of an extra element they have.
    What kinf of focus will you get? Thats what teenage photogs do: shoot a normal lens wide open. Adult people buy themselves 135/2.0 to achieve the sought-for effect.
    I despise those, who create their own "reality", and especially those, who try to create wisdom of their own. This is "violation of concept". When one is unable to embrace what he perceives, he creates a smaller world for himself that he can embrace, and switches off the perception.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin