Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,398   Online: 800

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: why no Konica?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Top quality stuff, the lenses especially, which are indeed of a very high standard. I saw them described once as "engineering driven" rather than "marketing driven," meaning that while they were quite innovative (first autofocus camera and first autoexposure SLR, for instance), they just expected everyone would beat a path to their door.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like their IRfilm.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by henry finley View Post
    What IR film? News to me. Why do you like it?--that is to ask if its more an IR film like Kodak's used to be, or is it more like the ones that is only some small portion of IR sensitive, requiring a totally opaque filter and 40 stops of opening up the lens to get any infrared value out of it? You used to only need a 25A with Kodak to have a nearly 100% infrared film. Now that they are gone, I'd be all ears to hear a suitable replacement.
    Konica USED to make an IR film - or maybe it was made by someone else and badged... I don't know.
    It was a near IR film, like Ilford SFX - but it was based on a very fine grain film, so quite slow, but very fine grained. It was a superb film for IR portraits and figure work - it did amazing things to skin tones. I miss it
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format

why no Konica?

AiBORG
    Last edited by Newt_on_Swings; 02-03-2013 at 08:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I obtained several expired rolls of Konica 120 IR film a couple of years ago. It had expired around '93, but some of the rolls developed very nicely. I shot it using a red 25A filter, and developed it in D76.

I'm definitely a Konica camera fan, and have a couple of bodies (TC-X and an Autoreflex T3), and a number of lenses in my collection. I've noticed that the Konica groups on Flickr seem to be dominated by Asian shooters, so I suppose they were more popular outside the US. Konica glass does seem to be especially contrasty, in a good way.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Konica had an excellent line up lens, all of which are very sharp. Several Japaness fans claim that the Japaness Government used Konica 50mms as the bench mark for evaluating all 35mm lens. I bought my first Konica T in 1969 with a 50mm 1.2, it was perhaps the best 50mm I have ever used. In 71 I traded in the T for a Nikon F because I needed a motor drive. The Ts have flash sync at 1/125th and full information view finder. The T 4 added a winder, not full motor drive, slowed the flash syn to 1/60, the FS and other bodies with build in winders were slow, did not have full information in the view finder, and I dont think were as rugged as the Ts. In the past couple of years I have collected a number of Konica bodies and a hand full of lens. I have tested the 50MM 1.8, 1.4 28 3.5 and 135 3.5 and 200mm F 4, the 200 is not the pro version. My testing shows all to be very sharp, as sharp or sharper than my Pentax M 42s and Canon FD primes I had. I use hearing aid batteries in the T3, meters well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My grandfather was an avid nature (mostly flower, some bird and general wilderness) photographer, and consequently put together a large macro- and long-lens system around an Autoreflex T2. I rescued it from his basement a couple of years ago and have been gradually getting it back into service for my girlfriend, who is also fond of macro. I've been favourably impressed. The shutter release isn't as nice as my Pentaxen, because part of the auto-exposure mechanism is driven by the initial press of finger on shutter button. The same is true of the Olympus 35RC, and, I expect, other early electro-mechanical auto-exposure cameras. In other respects, though, it's a solid and comfortable camera with lenses that I've never heard any complaints about. I certainly don't have any.

I've already got a 35mm SLR system and don't need another, but otherwise I'd cheerfully keep and use the Konica.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've owned a couple of Konica SLRs. Nice cameras but nothing to distinguish themselves and push them ahead in a very crowded field.

I still have a Konica Autoreflex T - a full-size all-manual camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    how about Konica film? What happened to that? I didn't even know they had made film until about a week ago I bumped into some Konica IR stuff in a darkroom fridge.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    I've owned a couple of Konica SLRs. Nice cameras but nothing to distinguish themselves and push them ahead in a very crowded field.
    I still have a Konica Autoreflex T - a full-size all-manual camera.
    To distinguish it from the other SLRs, it had shutter priority auto exposure. As I understand it, this is the first SLR with autoexposure. Canon introduced a shutter priority SLR in October 1969 with the EXEE but that had a dedicated screw mount with only interchangeable front lens element. The Pentax ES aperture priority SLR didn't get released until 1971.

The other cool thing with the Konica Autoreflex T's shutter priority auto exposure is that it works with all shutter speeds when batteries are dead. Until the release of the Nikon FM3A in 2001, all autoexposure cameras of the aperture priority type, had limited shutter speeds available when batteries are dead.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin