Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,177   Online: 696

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: why no Konica?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    The other cool thing with the Konica Autoreflex T's shutter priority auto exposure is that it works with all shutter speeds when batteries are dead.
    Not quite right. The Konicas, like most SLRs of their era, do have a fully mechanical shutter so they can be used in manual exposure mode with flat batteries but not in auto mode for the simple reason that any sort of auto exposure, shutter or aperture, has to reference an exposure meter in order to set the variable and the meter, of course, does not work without the battery. OzJohn

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by OzJohn View Post
    Not quite right. The Konicas, like most SLRs of their era, do have a fully mechanical shutter so they can be used in manual exposure mode with flat batteries but not in auto mode for the simple reason that any sort of auto exposure, shutter or aperture, has to reference an exposure meter in order to set the variable and the meter, of course, does not work without the battery. OzJohn
    To clarify, all cameras with any automation loose all automation when batteries are dead. All the aperture priority cameras of the era would be useless with dead batteries. Some only have a an X-sync speed and B mode available and only a handful have a portion of their shutter speeds available when batteries are dead. OTOH, the Autoreflex T has all shutter speeds available when batteries are dead and of course no shutter priority autoexposure. So when the electronics die, it can still function as a fully manual camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by horacekenneth View Post
    how about Konica film? What happened to that? I didn't even know they had made film until about a week ago I bumped into some Konica IR stuff in a darkroom fridge.
    I managed to use a few rolls of Konica Impressa ISO50 negatives and it is impressively fine grained.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have the Konica AR 85mm f/1.8 lens that I picked up at a garage sale or somewhere for 10 bucks. I was considering a T3, but AFAIK it comes with a microprism spot only, and I vastly prefer a split image focusing device as the microprism ones are definitive enough for me. Same issue with SRT-101s, hence my having a 102 for the split image.

I guess a very late model T3N may have the split image.
    Last edited by Trask; 02-05-2013 at 02:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So I've got a question I've been pondering for a bit. Like the OP, I've noticed lots of non-SLR Konica cameras get rave reviews and the glass is to be considered exceptional. But, I don't here much about Konica SLRs. I'm wondering if they are very good cameras compared to 1960s-1980s Nikons, Pentaxes, Olympus OMs, and Canons. The reason I'm asking is I've been meaning to get a manual focus SLR for a bit. Nikon would be the logical choice, because it is what I already use for SLRs, but the Konica's I've found online are often very cheap and come with lenses. The Nikons and others generally don't come with a lens and are more than double the price (say $60 for a Konica with 50/1.9 vs a $120+ Nikon).

I'm glad this thread came up. I was going to post a thread regarding this, but this thread here works perfectly.
    cities & citizens - edmonton street photography (mostly), 100% film

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by horacekenneth View Post
    how about Konica film? What happened to that? I didn't even know they had made film until about a week ago I bumped into some Konica IR stuff in a darkroom fridge.
    A school shooter I knew in the late 90s used long roll 35 and 70mm Konica film for a while. It proved to be too thin and prone to scratching in the processing machines (originally set up for Kodak product) and he switched back to Kodak. It was, otherwise, a very nice portrait film. I think it was manufactured by Fuji to Konica spec - not rebadged Fuji.

Shooter
    35mm
    h.v. I only have experience with the 1968 Autoreflex T and I would say it's build is like the other cameras of the time - robust. Capable of pounding a nail. In fact, when I bought mine from across the country, the seller sent it in a USPS box with no fillers or padding! I received it with no cosmetic flaws and all shutter speeds accurate but I haven't even tried to see if the meter works as it uses the now unavailable mercury batteries. The shutter has a rather long throw like my Chinon CE-II. I really do need to exercise it some more as the only lens I currently have is very good too.

If you haven't already, take a look at this website of the Konica SLRs -> http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/eKonicaStart.html

Shooter
    35mm
    I've got an Autoreflex TC on my shelf here. Needs new light seals and the meter doesn't work, unfortunately. I think if the meter worked, I'd be more inclined to take it out and shoot with it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I remember reading the ads in the photo magazines back in 69 when I started looking for a SLR. I wound up with a Spotmatic F because it had open aperture metering. I know some cameras at the time didn't, but don't know which ones. The price and reviews on the Pentax were great so that's what I got. The Konica from what I remember seemed like a so called third party manufacturer compared to Nikon, Canon, Pentax and Minolta although I seem to remember some full page ads of the Konica system. The Nikon F I know was hyped big time and seemed like everybody's dream camera. My price range with lens was more in line with the Pentax and Minolta lineup and after handling them both at a local Mall store decided on the smaller camera. I don't remember there being a Konica to handle. I think it was more of a order item, or truck into Chicago, and that didn't work for me.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Funny this tread came up now. I was just gifted a non-working Konica FT-1 with 28 f3.5 Hexar and 50 f1.4 Hexanon lenses. I fixed the problem with a bit of sheet brass and now the camera operates within nominal limits. Guess I should pop in a roll of film.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin