Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,044   Online: 783

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: why no Konica?

Shooter
    35mm
    I have two AutoReflex T2's. One was my father's he bought new when the T2 first came out. It and his Argus C3 were what I took pictures with while growing up. Since they appear to be scarce now I purchased a second body from KEH to have as a backup along with several lenses in addition to the 52mm f/1.8 and 135mm f/3.2 my father had. These cameras were very advanced for their day having aperture priority AE and half-press exposure lock. I don't know why they are not more popular now, I love mine. One thing though, the negative contact at the bottom of the battery well is glued in place and on many of these the glue has failed making the meter appear inoperative. I re-glue the contact in place on both my T2's to get them work as new again. I use readily available zinc-air batteries which are 1.3v and work fine as an alternative to the no longer available Hg batteries. They are beautiful cameras too.....

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'd like to ask: Why Konica?
    1. Besides the basic 3, lenses are hard to find and when they do go on sale, they get snatched up by snipers.
    2. Being first to implement a technology (TTL AE in this case) often means it is less refined.

-I am not trying to complain. I don't know much about the system.
    I am just trying to understand the fascination.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Because the Hexanons are really something special.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rice View Post
    Because the Hexanons are really something special.
    If there are any complaints about Hexanon lenses, then it seems to me it's mostly from the guys using them on digital cameras or comparing with their latest expensive digital lens specifically made for their camera. One thing I like about Hexanons is there is less chance of getting a lemon due to inferior mass production quality control, and Konica must have made sure that Tokina who made many of their lenses kept the quality up as well.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    I'd like to ask: Why Konica?
    1. Besides the basic 3, lenses are hard to find and when they do go on sale, they get snatched up by snipers.
    2. Being first to implement a technology (TTL AE in this case) often means it is less refined.

-I am not trying to complain. I don't know much about the system.
    I am just trying to understand the fascination.
    I seem 85 and 200 often at Ok prices, other lens seem to be rare. The EE on the Konica T was good, shutter speed and apature in the viewfinder, flash at 125th. The only draw back was no spot meter as in the Miranda EE, and were late with winders and never really made a drive. Lens quaility was some of the best of the time and still holds up. Looking at all the folks who dropped out of the market, seems that for the most part they could not or did not want to invest in electronics such as Canon, Minolta, Pentax and Nikon. Although Konica dropped out of the SLR and MF remained in the market still with some very nice point and shoots and up scale 35mm auto focus and rangerfinders.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    AiBORG
    Exactly. Any manufacturer who produces a camera like that has completly lost the plot. End of.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format

why no Konica?

Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Exactly. Any manufacturer who produces a camera like that has completly lost the plot. End of.
    Canon seemed to survive the Photura. At least the AIBORG had a campy Darth Vader look. :wink:

OK, I confess, I own one... And a Photura as well... Seems I'll buy almost any film camera for $5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Konica lenses are pretty great. They are every bit the equal of Canon or Nikon, just not as prolific. Their medium-format optics are much more well-known and liked (the Koni-Omega system).

I've got a stock of their Color Professional 160 film. It's not actively bad but is generally underwhelming compared to the latest film stocks.

Similarly, I'm a big big fan of Fuji lenses. Fuji did (does) a godawful job of marketing their wares in the Western markets, so they don't have the reputation of Schneider/Rodenstock, but the lenses themselves are great. Even today Fuji is really awful, half the time your first notice that they're discontinuing something is when everyone runs out and then two weeks later Fuji announces that there won't be any more.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin