Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,183   Online: 1109

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know of any chart but you can measure it yourself.

Shooter
    35mm
    The old lens reviews listed the T-number of the lenses. In this page a Rokkor 50mm f1.4 with a T-number 1.53, 28mm f2.0 with a T-number 2.25 and a 135mm f2.8 with a T-number 3.11. In these examples it doesn't seem significantly off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    The old lens reviews listed the T-number of the lenses. In this page a Rokkor 50mm f1.4 with a T-number 1.53, 28mm f2.0 with a T-number 2.25 and a 135mm f2.8 with a T-number 3.11. In these examples it doesn't seem significantly off.
    Les, you have the small child's concept of old.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The difference is usually small, and generally only relevant in the exacting circumstances of motion picture work.
    Usually small? Perhaps, but not always. Consider the 8-64/1.9 Angenieux 8x8B as was supplied with the Beaulieu 4008ZM. It t stops around t/3.3. Mine taught me to check all of my cine camera zooms for transmission, against the evil day when the camera's on-board meter failed.

Shooter
    35mm
    This brings back the old discussion of full aperture metering vs. stop down metering. Some people thought stop down metering was more accurate because it measured the light coming through the lens rather than the setting based on the f/stop set on the lens. Full aperture metering has been around for a long time. Some cameras had it earlier than others. The Minolta SRT-101 had it in 1966. The Konica Autoreflex T had it in 1968. The Canon F-1 and FTb cameras had it in 1971. Pentax did not have it until the ES of 1971. Before the Micro Nikkor P Nikon made the 55/3.5 Micro Nikkor Auto which had a mechanical exposure compensation in the close-up range. This made things easier for someone who was using a separate meter and wanted to get proper exposure up close. To use it with a camera with TTL metering you would need to stop down to meter. If you are using a camera like the Minolta X-700 and are set to aperture priority, the camera will read the actual amount of light coming through the lens and will not depend only on the f/stop the lens is set at. Your finder may show a shutter speed of 1/250 but the actual shutter speed at the moment of exposure may be faster or slower than that. This would cancel out any minor differences between the marked f/stop and the actual T stop.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Is there any database online of legacy lens T-stop ratings?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Les, you have the small child's concept of old.
    Perhaps you're just ancient... The fact it's written on paper in a magazine means its old... Hehe

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Perhaps you're just ancient... The fact it's written on paper in a magazine means its old... Hehe

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    No, no, no. The fact that it's in a magazine means it's not old. If it was on a parchment scroll, it'd be old.

Let's keep some perspective here.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've seen T stops used with view cameras when large extensions were used (close-ups).

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Is there any database online of legacy lens T-stop ratings?

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    No, no, no. The fact that it's in a magazine means it's not old. If it was on a parchment scroll, it'd be old.

Let's keep some perspective here.
    In this world older than 10 years is old... I was driving these kids in a car that was 7 years old and they said "wow this car is so old look at all the knobs and buttons!" Because their patents owned a new car with touch panel displays etc.

It's a new generation and everything is fast and obsolete or rather

~Stone

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    In this world older than 10 years is old... I was driving these kids in a car that was 7 years old and they said "wow this car is so old look at all the knobs and buttons!" Because their patents owned a new car with touch panel displays etc.

It's a new generation and everything is fast and obsolete or rather

~Stone

Yep. Their loss, my gain.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin