Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,907   Posts: 1,584,613   Online: 905

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

a stupid question...is the nikon FE a good camera...?

Yes I know that it seems a stupid question...or better...i know that it is a real stupid question.
    "the problem" is the following:i work at a second hand company called Cash Converters.
    There,in the shop we buy and we sell old camera (for the common people a Nikon FE for example is just a old camera good only for a decorative use!)
    Often I ould buy cameras at ridicolous prices...and they `re cameras that I know only for the name...may be because I'saw them in an old magazine (Icollect old photography magazines)...I can't know them when they came out because I'm young...So sometimes,it seems something stupid,I think:is this camera a real good camera if I'm paying for it olny 30 euro with the lens as for example my Nikon FE...this camera looks new...it' black and it hasn't scratches or dents...like new!
    You start to think after meny years working with this philosophy that you love these stuffs,but that they have no value...after all,of course I know that it isn't the truth...but it's really complicated to me!...I believe that I need to change my work!ahahahahah...can you believe that sometime when I say to the people that i'm using that camera they're selling or better...they're giving as stuffs worthy garbage...they look to me thinking that I'm stupid...?.
    They asked me if I don't know that today the photography isn't the film...and the old camera!!!the photography is like the informatics...is the telephone...the Ipad...the ipod...ecc...ecc...
    So what do you think?...Did I buy a great camera for only 30 euros or is this people right thinking that I'm crazy?
    Is the Nikon FE a nice camera or Must I use it like a paperweight?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is a perfectly usable camera and not a paperweight but if someone is selling it at €30 complete with a lens just nod and smile when they say that you can only take pictures with a smart phone today. It is their loss and your gain.
    Plenty of Nikkor lenses around and the FE use common batteries that you can buy almost anywhere. No reason not to buy it since it seems to be in perfect condition.

Good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had FE, it was working fine and making nice photos. Only one thing - mirror was little too loud for my taste (maybe my example was a dog concerning this?). I give it away as present when I got F3, but it was a good camera. Every nikon SLR that I know is good: Of course when you pay more - you get more, but they are all good .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    30 euros seems like a good price for a good camera. Don't listen to anyone that says photography is about iPads and iPhones etc. Some people just feel the need to make others conform to the same ideas that they do. If they want to use the latest bundle of electronics, that's cool, but it seems to me that these people mix up the idea of *newer* technology, and *better* technology.

Shooter
    35mm
    The FE is a good camera.Buy it and shoot it.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Shooter
    35mm
    Its a good price for a good working FE and lens. It's a good camera for the money. Current selling price for the FE isn't very high though. Often the FE fetches the least amount of money among the FM/FE series of cameras.

Shooter
    35mm
    If it goes bust after having it for a while, it will make a nice door stop because spares are no longer available. But having said that they are a sturdy camera and will probably keep soldiering on long after the digital equivalents have been re-cycled.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love the FE -- it was my first SLR camera and I still use it regularly. It's built like a brick so it can take some knocks -- I really don't have to worry about pampering it. The mirror slap is really loud, but other than that, it really is my favorite camera. I think there are quite a number of people here on APUG who like it as well.

As for the people bringing them -- it's their loss and your gain. They're great cameras.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    35mm
    Unlike you I am old, but I was not into photography - nor did I appreciate these cameras, in my time. But I have immersed myself into it and have acquired a few to learn about them during their timeline with help from website like this as well as magazines of the time. But since I don't buy and sell as a business, I likely don't look at their "value" as you do except for a few items like the Canon 1VHS that I bought locally strictly because it was too cheap to pass up ($100) to sell or trade. I managed to trade it for a Pentax K 50mm f1.2 lens which to me was a fantastic ROI.

In your business, I would imagine you would evaluate the FE based on cosmetic and functionality and keep track of historical trends - such as completed listings in the auction site. I haven't looked but a fully functional black body Nikon with no scratches likely fetches more then what you paid for your. Interesting that you didn't specify the lens - especially if it is a Nikon brand. That may bring back even more then the body too.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have three of these. I prefer it to the FM because it has interchangeable focusing screens. The FE had an undeserved reputation of being a battery eater. If you leave the advance lever pushed in when you are not using it, the battery can have a normal lifespan. The FE replaced the Nikon EL-2 in 1978. The may have overlapped for a short time. The electronic components of the FE have aged well. Most of the ones I see are still working. The FE was an early AI [Automatic Indexing] Nikon. The AI tab can be flipped back so that pre-AI lenses will fit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin