Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,920   Posts: 1,556,520   Online: 1324

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Old film, any good?

Hello all.

Got a large box, 40-50 rolls, of 135 mm film from a friend. He has had them in a dark room for the last 15 years.

But, how will it be now? Any point in trying it out? Or, will it be just as good today?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take one of those films, rate it at a somewhat lower speed, if need be...develop a bit longer. Give it a go and a twirl...make a few tests...chances are that things will be ok.
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is the film color or b&w? How much it's deteriorated depends upon the temperature it was stored at. For b&w, expect a loss in sensitivity and probably some fogging. For color, expect color shifts, fogging, and loss in sensitivity.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, will try a roll and se how it goes.
    Oh, yes, it is color.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vegard_norway View Post
    Thanks, will try a roll and se how it goes.
    Oh, yes, it is color.
    Umm. Don't get your hopes too high. But you never know.

Shooter
    35mm
    Give it a go. You'll never know otherwise. It could be like finding a treasure chest of interesting negs. Even if the colour has suffered there might be stuff there that can be printed on B&W paper

I have just such negs from the early to mid 1970s that could still be done on RA4 but not as I'd like but in B&W they still look pretty good.

Your stuff is only from the mid 1990s by which time colour neg film had improved greatly.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Only 15 years old?
    What film is it that you have?

I bought a box of >100 rolls of Kodak Ektar 125 with expiration of 4/1992 that I shot a roll at various exposures - develop normally, and determined it is now about a ISO64-32 depending on taste and got these results.

It turned out to be a practically grainless negative film . . .

Shooter
    35mm
    BTW, that box of expired Ektar 125 was just kept in a garage here in Atlanta, Georgia until I picked it up a couple of years ago. They are individually boxed and in plastic canisters.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello.

Oh, nice photos. Wish I was able to do that...maybe with time and practice.

The film is KODAK GOLD 400.

Shooter
    35mm
    Since you have 40-50 rolls then I would suggest conducting exposure range shots of -2 to at least +6. I believe that Kodak Gold 400 has excessively wide latitude anyway and shooting 1 stop over would normally deliver finer grain results. I would guess yours would now be best rated at ISO200-100. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin