Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,718   Online: 813

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What a find!

Shooter
    35mm

What a find!

Roaming through an antiques mall the other day, I saw a beat up tan leather case with a Nikon logo on the front. The tag said "Vintage Nikon 35mm Camera, Case, Light meter." I'm thinking "cool! it's probably an old F or maybe F2." My heart about stopped when I opened the case and saw a Nikon SP in great condition. It has a W-Nikkor.C 2.8cm 1:3.5 lens attached.

So now I'm the proud owner of a Nikon rangefinder. From what I can tell, everything works beautifully. The shutter speeds from 1s-1/30 all sound like they're properly timed. There are no odd sounds or anything. Film transport is all working. The rangefinder works. There's a black yarn-looking light seal along the top edge of the camera where the back slots in, but no seals I can see on the sides or bottom. I'm assuming this is normal.

Anything else I should check out before I toss a roll in it and give it the ultimate test?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Boy some people have a tough life.

Welcome to APUG!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Nice find! I make it a point to have a look in the antique stores once in a while. I've gotten, on separate trips, a Pentax S2 Super with several Super-Takumar lenses ($75), a Novoflex 105mm bellows lens ($25), and a Mamiya 50mm f/3.5 macro lens ($25). I've also seen lots of obscure cameras that I have no reason to buy but enjoy seeing, nonetheless.

None of that tops a Nikon SP with a lens, however. I'm jealous!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm curious. If you don't mind sharing, how much did you pay?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm almost afraid to admit this for fear of a gang of APUGers with torches and pitchforks, but I paid $100 for the camera, lens, leather case, and an old selenium cell light meter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cajuncc View Post
    The shutter speeds from 1s-1/30 all sound like they're properly timed.
    I take it that there are faster speeds and that you haven't tested these because it is the slow speeds that are normally suspect? Just a thought

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great heavens! I've had some decent finds in antique stores, but nothing remotely close to this. Enjoy it!

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    I take it that there are faster speeds and that you haven't tested these because it is the slow speeds that are normally suspect? Just a thought

pentaxuser
    No, I just "tested" the slower speeds by listening to the shutter sound. I've got a pretty good feel for what the slower speeds sound like. I won't be able to truly test any of the speeds until I run a roll through it though. The faster speeds there's no way I could tell "by ear."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Awesome find, that's why I keep going back to antique shops despite my 1-100 find ratio

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cajuncc View Post
    I'm almost afraid to admit this for fear of a gang of APUGers with torches and pitchforks, but I paid $100 for the camera, lens, leather case, and an old selenium cell light meter.
    Nah, we aren't that bad... are we that bad?

I'd say you got a fair deal.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin