Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,524   Online: 979

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Sentimental....40 year old slides.

Hello all.

Oh, what a evening. Not sure if these is the right place to post these words, or even if anyone is interested, I just want to share some, for me, interesting finds.

Had a look in some of my fathers old photo bags, and there was a box, no 10 boxes of slides, from -70 and up to -79.
    All marked and ready to watch. Did dig out the old slide projector, even that one is close to 40 years, plugged it in......IT works
    Great.

All these slides where taken with the camera I now have, I am happy and also proud!
    Did go true some slides, wow. I am no expert, but I like the quality, really good. So clear, great colors.
    Now these is the way to show photos, not on some computer or a digital album of some kind. They sure made it back then.

All these have made me sure, I have to learn to take good photos with these camera, and slides to
    Maybe my kids will look at them later, and feel as I do now.

Wish you all a good evening.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I share your enthusiasm. Projected slides are wonderful and even more so finding a treasure from your father. I am shooting more slides these days as who knows how long this film and E6 processing will be available. If you can, I'd recommend also shooting Kodak super 8 Ektachrome of your family. The last batch of this film is now available but will be gone soon. Enjoy.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you for the reply.
    I will se if I find any of the film. You think slides/film and E6 processing will be gone?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree...slide film is beautiful. I am concerned, too, that it will go away. There is no more direct printing from slides. I used to do that in a darkroom I worked in at a custom lab. That was the best experience I ever had working in a lab...getting to print from slides in the darkroom. Especially from professional work...the color saturation is stunning, and I still believe that scanning and printing cannot compare to a direct print.
    Anyway, enjoy those slides! I love looking at old family photos of any kind. Plus, keep shooting the E-6. The key to keeping it around is showing a demand for it!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Oh yes, definitely try to put together a show for friends.

Practice for an evening. Pick a few favorite songs/tunes/classics and scratch out time notes. Allow 5 seconds approximately per slide. Give or take. If one slide is not as good as the others give it a couple seconds (some duds you can't toss because they are needed for continuity). The great, dramatic slides get about 10 seconds maybe even 20 if they are truly stunning.

It's such a blast when you get the timing right and the rainclouds come in when the cymbals crash...

Shooter
    35mm
    Slides will NOT go away, lets keep on shooting and then they will keep on MAKING it.

Can I no longer have prints from these old slides? Some of them I really like to have as photos to.
    It is so nice to look at old slides, I am so impressed with the quality, colors, how clear they still are. Wonder if they make slide film with the same quality today.

Oh, MichaelT72, 8mm hmmmm...Love to try that to. But, then I need a 8mm film camera to..Sounds interesting and fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nothing stopping you from having prints made from any of those slides, irrespective of their age. Very old slides like this will benefit from being projected occasionally — especially Kodachrome slides. For printing, colour darkroom work is now quite rare on a commercial basis. In the absence of being fitted out with the necessary goods yourself, you'd need to find a good pro-level lab equipped with a scanner and quality printing machinery (and samples of their work) that will faithfully reproduce the slides, not compensate for any colour derangement that has occurred naturally over the decades. Or you could procure yourself an Epson V700/V750 scanner, complete with a slide holder, and blaze away, sending yours files to a bureau for printing. Scanning and end-print media material has made very great strides in the last five years and I don't share the belief that things will easy be sneered at as "sub-standard" now or the future: correct framing will determine how long these alternative process prints will endure.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks.

I have found one who can help me, YES!
    These evening, more slides to watch.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes they still make excellent quality slide film. Kodak no longer makes slide film - Kodachrome was discontinued in 2009 and processing in 2010, and Ektachrome/Elite Chrome was discontinued in March of 2012, but Fuji's E-6 slide films are excellent. Provia is wonderful for skin tones, and Velvia is good for landscapes (but not so much skin tones). Agfa in Belgium makes the Rollei CR200 slide film, but in my opinion it needs an 82A or 82B filter to balance the color as it tends heavily towards yellow.

There's nothing like a projected slide!
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I miss Kodachrome. I really miss the IR color slide slide film. Now that I could actually make some decent images with it it's all gone. It was fun to play with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin