Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,324   Online: 915
      
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11
    David Lyga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA USA
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,236
    My two cents (sense?): I have a feeling that there is a tiny bit of oil in the shutter blades, preventing clean, quick movement. What I would do (and please do not do this and blame me for helping you wreck the beast).

    I would remove the bottom and open the back. Then I would squirt a bit of lighter fluid onto the shutter blades, always holding the camera upright so that NO fluid gets into the prism area but, instead flows out the bottom. I would do this while operating the shutter. Then I would place the camera, again right side up so that prism does not get any fluid, into my oven. My pilot light keeps the camera about 110F. Overnight the body should be dry but, occasionally, I would fire the shutter.

    This is a tricky endeavor and, again, I offer warning. But I have done this to success. - David Lyga

  2. #12
    Pandysloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by pen s View Post
    Take off the lens and fire the shutter, look at the mirror's action. Is it rising all the way to the top? Before the shutter travels? Open the back and, with the lens removed fire the shutter observing the action at various speeds. Point the camera at a well lit blank white wall for these tests. This should tell you if it is the mirror not getting out of the way soon enough or, if it is the first shutter segment dragging, allowing the second segment to catch up and end the exposure.
    I tried that but there's no noticeable lag or discrepancy. I figure that at 1/500 and 1/1000 it is too fast to really see anyway...

    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    My two cents (sense?): I have a feeling that there is a tiny bit of oil in the shutter blades, preventing clean, quick movement.
    You mean like this?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Feb 15, 9 25 23 AM.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	426.1 KB 
ID:	64189

    I should note that when I bought it the ebay store claimed all cameras sold were CLA'd, tested, and verified fully functional. I'm hoping he's willing to exchange it for a working one, even though the 90-day money back guarantee expired 2 days ago...

  3. #13

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Daventry, Northamptonshire, England
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    6,961
    Easy for me to say this with hindsight but it sounds as if you bought with a 90 day guarantee and waited until almost the end of the period before trying it and now the 90 day period has expired.

    Stating the obvious but with second hand stuff like cameras always run a film through it within a day or so of getting it so any issue surfaces straight away.

    If the seller is decent he will give you the benefit of the doubt but from his point of view he may wonder why it wasn't used before now or be suspicious that it was used, was OK and something has only just gone wrong.

    I hope the seller will "play ball"

    pentaxuser

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandysloo View Post
    I just shot my first roll on my new Nikon FE and the amount of each frame overtaken by blackness linearly increases as you go down the sequence of frames on the roll, which is why some photos have a little while others are completely black. Only two frames out of the whole roll came out without it, and only 12 came out with anything visible on it at all. I know it isn't an exposure issue because a handful of them just have a sliver of perfectly exposed stuff peeking form behind the blackness.

    Someone suggested that the second shutter could be out of sync with the first curtain, the repair of which would surpass the cost of a new one. Just thought I'd get your input as well.
    Looks like your shutter is "capping" - the first section is lagging and the second section is catching up and closing the slit, or some variation of that scenario. It likely needs a CLA.

  5. #15
    David Lyga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA USA
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,236
    NO, NO, NO, Pandysloo: "I figure that at 1/500 and 1/1000 it is too fast to really see anyway..."

    Open the back and point the camera towards a VERY brightly lit piece of white copy paper. (NOTE: The actual film gate and rear of the camera must NOT be in bright light when you do this.) While looking at the rear film gate, fire the shutter. Even at 1/2000 you will see something white and you will be able to tell whether the WHOLE 24x36 gate is open.

    The photo you have of the back of the Nikon is correct. I would remove the BOTTOM and HOLD THE CAMERA so that the bottom is DOWN. Then (again, I caution you) I would squirt lighter fluid onto the curtain and work it in and you should see black liquid drain from the bottom. Again, I warn caution. I do not want you to throw the camera at me. - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 02-15-2013 at 04:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  6. #16
    Pandysloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Easy for me to say this with hindsight but it sounds as if you bought with a 90 day guarantee and waited until almost the end of the period before trying it and now the 90 day period has expired.

    Stating the obvious but with second hand stuff like cameras always run a film through it within a day or so of getting it so any issue surfaces straight away.

    I hope the seller will "play ball"
    Normally I test things out immediately, but I was only just able to get a lens for it.

    The seller said they would sell me another one for 50% credit if I return the one I have. Only problem is, all their other ones are listed as having broken advance mechanisms one way or the other.

    I guess I'm stuck trying to fix it myself. I dry fire it at high shutter speeds and see if that smooths it out.

    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Open the back and point the camera towards a VERY brightly lit piece of white copy paper. (NOTE: The actual film gate and rear of the camera must NOT be in bright light when you do this.) While looking at the rear film gate, fire the shutter. Even at 1/2000 you will see something white and you will be able to tell whether the WHOLE 24x36 gate is open. - David Lyga
    Doing this, it appears that the entire gate is open every time.
    Last edited by Pandysloo; 02-15-2013 at 04:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Olympia, wa.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    241
    "Doing this, it appears the entire gate is open every time."

    That's why I'm thinking the problem is in the mirror. It is not getting completely out of the way before the first shutter segments start their travel. Ii may rise all the way to the top but not fast enough to allow clear shutter operation.

  8. #18
    Pandysloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    30
    I decided to video the problem at 60 fps with a high shutter (1/1300) so that I could slow it down frame-by-frame to get an idea of what's happening. While I'm not too familiar with the mechanics of a 35mm SLR design, it seems the shutter is indeed the problem. I shone a flashlight through the gate in order to highlight the phenomenon.

    The following examples were shutter speeds of 1/500 and 1/000, respectively. I recorded each speed about five times, and the results were inconsistent. Not once did I get a full frame out of the shutter, and the ~ 30% shutter opening in the following examples were the biggest ones that occurred, meaning that any variation produced only smaller slights of light coming through, none with more.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	500 shutter 4.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	64202Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1000 shutter 4.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	64203

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    305
    Looks like the shutter is firing before the mirror is up and out of the way. John

  10. #20
    zk-cessnaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandysloo View Post
    I decided to video the problem at 60 fps with a high shutter (1/1300) so that I could slow it down frame-by-frame to get an idea of what's happening. While I'm not too familiar with the mechanics of a 35mm SLR design, it seems the shutter is indeed the problem. I shone a flashlight through the gate in order to highlight the phenomenon.

    The following examples were shutter speeds of 1/500 and 1/000, respectively. I recorded each speed about five times, and the results were inconsistent. Not once did I get a full frame out of the shutter, and the ~ 30% shutter opening in the following examples were the biggest ones that occurred, meaning that any variation produced only smaller slights of light coming through, none with more.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	500 shutter 4.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	64202Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1000 shutter 4.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	64203
    but at high shutter speeds the shutter doesn't appear to fully open... this explains
    Mamiya 645 Super | Nikon F4/F100/FM2n | Minolta Maxxum 9/Dynax 7/X-700/X-500/XD7/SRT-101 | Pentax Spotmatic | Canonet QL 19 (GII) | and a whole bunch of glass

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin