Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,831   Posts: 1,582,301   Online: 1058

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

What's wrong with my camera?

I just shot my first roll on my new Nikon FE and the amount of each frame overtaken by blackness linearly increases as you go down the sequence of frames on the roll, which is why some photos have a little while others are completely black. Only two frames out of the whole roll came out without it, and only 12 came out with anything visible on it at all. I know it isn't an exposure issue because a handful of them just have a sliver of perfectly exposed stuff peeking form behind the blackness.

Someone suggested that the second shutter could be out of sync with the first curtain, the repair of which would surpass the cost of a new one. Just thought I'd get your input as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BW1.jpg   BW2.jpg   BW3.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    sure looks like a failing shutter...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Agreed

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If the camera hasn't been used for a very long time exercise the heck out of the shutter and see if this loosens things up. If that doesn't work it might make a cool doorstop.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The black bits are not getting exposed at all. There are several ways that could happen but they all come from the curtains not moving smoothly through their travel. As Eric said, using the shutter might free it up - this worked with my Exa which had this problem. Spend a while dry firing the shutter a few hundred times and then try another film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it was a Canon EOS 30, it would be caused by the foam dampening rotting and getting on the blades. Any sign of gunk on the shutter blades?

Shooter
    35mm
    Spares for the Nikon FE were stopped at least 15-20 years ago and what there are around now will not be for a shutter. It may be possible to get the camera serviced and the problem cleared but this may be in excess of the value of the camera itself.

My guess is the camera has NEVER been serviced and like all mechanical things that are not checked over they will eventually fail but can be rejuvenated after a good clean out and lubrication. Bear in mind your camera is at least 30 years old now. Imagine what a car would be like if it hadn't been serviced in 30 years!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    However, today only, if you act now, a complete Nikon FE parts body (with working shutter) is available for $15, here!

Coincidental...serendipitous...almost like a meteor strike!

Last edited by Peter Simpson; 02-15-2013 at 06:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    You might want to check out: http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com/ They can probably give you an estimate by phone. May just need a cla. I have used them and they have done a good job. All depends on what you want to put into a camera.
    Regards,
    Jim

Shooter
    35mm
    Take off the lens and fire the shutter, look at the mirror's action. Is it rising all the way to the top? Before the shutter travels? Open the back and, with the lens removed fire the shutter observing the action at various speeds. Point the camera at a well lit blank white wall for these tests. This should tell you if it is the mirror not getting out of the way soon enough or, if it is the first shutter segment dragging, allowing the second segment to catch up and end the exposure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin