Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,322   Posts: 1,536,894   Online: 1079

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Yashinoff View Post
    ... The F2 is everything the F was but better too.
    I might well have agreed at a time when the F2 was the top professional camera. It offered a couple convenience features, handier motor drive, and maybe improvements in the metering.

For me, and apparently a lot of others, the F2 is more, but not better. It is more weight, more noise, and more rough feeling in operation. I prefer the F, but they are both fabulously made cameras. If you need or want the features of the F2, then it would obviously be the better choice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Crabtree View Post
    I might well have agreed at a time when the F2 was the top professional camera. It offered a couple convenience features, handier motor drive, and maybe improvements in the metering.

For me, and apparently a lot of others, the F2 is more, but not better. It is more weight, more noise, and more rough feeling in operation. I prefer the F, but they are both fabulously made cameras. If you need or want the features of the F2, then it would obviously be the better choice.
    I agree about the F/F2, and I've also come to really like the Nikkormats.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Everyone should own a F at least once in their lives.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikon F GAS attack

Starting around 1989 or so I've owned in order an FE2, FM2, N70, N60, F80s, and N90. Sold all off thru the years and went Contax SLR for color work and the Zeiss glass. About a year ago got an F3 for an awesome low price and then an FM2 too. Missed the Nikon and rediscovered the wonder of 1960's F-era glass particularly for b&w work, which is 98% of my work now (the 105/2.5 and 50/2 are simply heaven in my eyes). On a whim a gorgeous black F2 showed up on APUG last year and I bit. My god I love my F2. Was not prepared for how
    awesome it is. Got two of them now (black and chrome). It's like the Leica body of the Nikon line up.

Now reading this seems I might have to try an F!
    Last edited by Richard Sintchak (rich815); 02-17-2013 at 03:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Starting around 1989 or so I've owned in order an FE2, FM2, N70, N60, F80s, and N90. Sold all off thru the years and went Contax SLR for color work and the Zeiss glass. About a year ago got an F3 for an awesome low price and then an FM2 too. Missed the Nikon and rediscovered the wonder of 1960's F-era glass particularly for b&w work, which is 98% of my work now (the 105/2.5 and 50/2 are simply heaven in my eyes). On a whim a gorgeous black F2 showed up on APUG last year and I bit. My god I love my F2. Was not prepared for how
    awesome it is. Got two of them now (black and chrome). It's like the Leica body of the Nikon line up.

Now reading this seems I might have to try an F!
    Uh oh, me too. My F2S has been my number one camera for a couple of years now; I got it restored by Mr. Wong and it (along with its MD1 attached and 18mm f/4 welded on) is my most prized possession. But I have yet to shoot with or even handle an F1 (I like to call it the F1 for grammar's sake).

Just looking at photos of the F and F2 side by side, the latter looks pretty much the same, except maybe a little refined. The specifications of the two cameras tell a similar story: more or less identical, but with the F2 showing logical, linear progression. But I know how sound, reasonable changes may or may not actually improve a camera. On the F3, for example, many of the tweaks made from the F2 make perfect sense, and I can appreciate them, but I can just as easily do without them. And some of the features of the F3 were poorly implemented and are a step backwards (like the viewfinder illuminator, the non-standard hot shoe that for some ungodly reason is different from the non-standard hot shoe of the F/F2, the fact that the stupid meter won't work until you wind to frame 1).

I know for sure the position of the shutter release button on the F1 wouldn't bother me, but I do worry about having to remove the whole back for loading film. And there's the mirror lockup procedure, but I wouldn't need to do it very often....

I dunno, I suppose I ought to just snatch one up sooner rather than later, before all the good ones have been taken.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I shoot both. Have an F, which, until last weekend, was an F Photomic FTn with F-36 motor drive. Received a DE-1 from BradleyK and removed the nameplate from said finder, then popped it onto my F. Yeah, it's not the original F eyelevel finder with the gothic "F" on the front, but, it does the job. I combine this camera with the Pocket Light Meter app on my iPhone and use it that way. If I need a motor driven F series body with a meter, I either take my F2AS or my F4 out. If I need to travel light, but want a pro-grade Nikon with me, then my F2A comes out to play. All of the aforementioned bodies have the P screen installed. I like my diagonal split-image. I frequently will hold my FM2n or my FT2 diagonally when focusing, so I can take advantage of that feature. I do recommend the addition of an AR-1 to the F. The shutter release placement is a little less comfortable when compared to a more modern camera, like an F2 or an F-1 (Nikon never called the F an "F1", btw)... The AR-1 does make it more comfortable to use, if you don't have a motor drive with the cordless battery pack attached to the camera.

You really can't go wrong with an F or an F2. One thing I have noticed about the late "Apollo" F bodies... It seems that most of them don't have a very positive feeling detent for the advance lever. All the all-metal advance lever F's do. My latest F seems to have the same feel as the early bodies, even though it's an "Apollo".

Price-wise, chrome bodies are plentiful and can be had for cheap. The black bodies, not so much. In 2009, I had a very nice chrome F FTn that I picked up for $50. Only issue it had was with the frame counter being off by one frame. Think the cap was misaligned. Everything else on the camera worked perfectly, including the FTn finder. I kinda wish I'd kept it around as an extra F. But, I think I must've found something I wanted more, so I purged it, while keeping my black beater F FTn "Apollo" that I had at the time (same camera that now belongs to 2F/2F, IIRC).

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin