Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,267   Online: 784

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CuS

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon F GAS attack

Okay, here's the issue - I found a very dirty but functioning Nikon F with a Photomic finder in a thrift shop - US$98.

Now, I didn't get it right then, but as I had never handled one, I did some research.

Thanks to the mir.com site, I am now having a serious bout of GAS for the Nikon F!

This led me to trolling the bay, Keh, etc.

Now, for background, I already have a Canon F-1N, a Bessa R3M, a Kiev IIa, a few Mamiya C-TLRs as well as a new Fuji GF670.

I really, really liked the build quality of the Nikon F I handled.

What I need from all of you is your advice on which version of the F to get as well as the best finder for a pairing and a general idea of how much I should pay for one in good cosmetic and functional condition.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This has all been discussed many places on the web. $98 for a dirty one?
    They are not as valuable as you might think. I sold an almost new one (on e-bay) with lens 50mm F2 and prism for only $270.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CuS View Post
    Okay, here's the issue - I found a very dirty but functioning Nikon F with a Photomic finder in a thrift shop - US$98.

Now, I didn't get it right then, but as I had never handled one, I did some research.

Thanks to the mir.com site, I am now having a serious bout of GAS for the Nikon F!

This led me to trolling the bay, Keh, etc.

Now, for background, I already have a Canon F-1N, a Bessa R3M, a Kiev IIa, a few Mamiya C-TLRs as well as a new Fuji GF670.

I really, really liked the build quality of the Nikon F I handled.

What I need from all of you is your advice on which version of the F to get as well as the best finder for a pairing and a general idea of how much I should pay for one in good cosmetic and functional condition.

Thanks!
    There's really only one version of the F. There were several - 3 - versions of metered prisms, the FtN is the last and best IMO. BUT - the potentiometers wear and get erratic. They all can be calibrated to use silver oxide cells instead of mercuric (unavailable) oxide cells. My favorite is the plain non-metered prism, but these alone can cost as much as a nice body and lens.
    Any F will be at least 39 years old, plan to have to pay for a CLA on anything you buy. They're great cameras, one of the all-time finest SLRs ever made.
    Don't forget to get a 105/2.5 Nikkor as well.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Nikon F with an unmetered prism finder is neat. The Photomic finder made it a beast. However, the F did have its idiosyncracies, often due to providing for a very wide range of accessories. I still keep one around for times when only 35mm film will do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    The Nikon F with an unmetered prism finder is neat. The Photomic finder made it a beast. However, the F did have its idiosyncracies, often due to providing for a very wide range of accessories. I still keep one around for times when only 35mm film will do.
    My F with FtN prism and 20/3.5 Nikkor UD seems to weigh as much as my Linhof STIV.
    I primarily use the plain prism and a LunaSix, reserving the FtN finder for close up work where TTL metering is handy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aside from the finders, later ones have a plastic grip on the wind lever, which is a little nicer. Also as I recall, somewhere in the history they went to putting the manufacture year in the first two digit's of the S/N. Not sure if the switchover year is documented though.
    The meter finders are a bit ungainly, but I'm not sure the "value" of the plain ones matches the reported cost.

If you run into a chrome one with a plain finder and a black name plate, made in circa 1970, it may have been stolen from a house in Thailand 40ish years ago

Shooter
    35mm

nikon

Get the F2 with plain prism. It costs $150 to overhaul the meter prism when (not if) it goes dead, So the extra cost is worth it. The F2 is the best. The 50mm nikor f2 H is VERY sharp as is the Macro f3,5 and both are inexpensive. Add the 105 f2.5 and 28mm f2.8 both extraordinary lenses when you have the cash.... dream about the 180mm f2.8 ED in the mean time.... Bill
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.

Shooter
    35mm
    If dead-set on the F, I like the 'Apollo' body with either a plain or FTn prism. The plastic cover on the film advance is a nice touch for my delicate thumb. Yet I prefer the F2 for several reasons; faster shutter speed (2000th), stepless between 80 and 2000th (great for chrome), metering to 8 sec, timed exposure to 10 sec, meter-visibility in low-light (SB, AS, others?), hassle-free mirror lock and better ergonomics. I have two F's, incl one Apollo, and a weakness for F2's.

Shooter
    35mm

nikon F2

Oh by the way, Google Sover Wong to learn everything you need to know about repair and use... someone on APUG turned me on to him and I'm grateful ... you will be too if you end up with an F2.... he's the BEST.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.

Shooter
    35mm
    +1 for Sover Wong. He brought my F2 to like-new condition. He only works on the F2
    and he knows everything there is to know about it. He also has repair parts.

F2 > F because you can still get the meter batteries for the F2.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin