Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,317   Posts: 1,536,764   Online: 1079

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Hard to say. Considering when the Barnack Leicas were designed, I'd say he's near the top. But what about the guy who designed the Nikon RF cameras? And the Nikon F? Or the Leica M series? There are so many good cameras.
    Zeiss Ikon designed the Nikon RF cameras so nothing innovative there apart from slight modifications. The Nikon F is essentially a rangefinder with a mirror box, just as the Zenit C (S) was 4 years earlier. The irony is modern Bessa and similar rangefinders from the same factory are based on a Cosina SLR minus the mirror box and prism.

Innovative designs where the Prakitana and very early East German made Contax acemeras and then the Pentax S.

My own feeling is the Leicas didn't mature until the IIIf & g and the M series was already in the pipeline evolving fron the IV prototypes made before WWII.

Ian

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamG View Post
    If we are talking about how cameras look today, what about Luigi Colani who designed the T90- isn't every camera with the 'curved' look somewhat derivative?
    Canon had two design teams assigned for what should become the T90: an in-house team and Colani.

The T90 is kind of compromise between the designs of both groups.

Shooter
    35mm
    this thread is really really interesting, i'd love to read more from most experienced users.
    In my great ignorance in the matter I'd put a vote for Mr Maitani 'cause i think XA is such a great piece of a masterwork in lens and general concept...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    He designed one camera. I hardly call that much of a resume. Great camera but one item in your portfolio doesn't make you the greatest of all time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    And whomever designed the Rolleiflex.
    35mm ?
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Among the Germans, I really like Heinz Waaske and Hubert Nerwin. Both of them were deeply involved in camera design and often stepped in to improve existing products.

Waaske, who designed the Rollei 35 and later the Rolleimatic, later went on to work for Blaupunkt, while Nerwin eventually joined Graflex and was responsible for the Combat Graphic. Nerwin's other work included changes to the original Contax I and development of the Tenax II. Nerwin also worked for Kodak. You can read about Hubert Nerwin here.

And read about Heinz Waaske here.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    . . . My own feeling is the Leicas didn't mature until the IIIf & g and the M series was already in the pipeline evolving fron the IV prototypes made before WWII.

Ian
    Leicas from the early 30s had many of the fine features that gradually evolved into the IIIf. The IIIg was an intermediate step between the IIIf and M series. It's main advantage was the screw mount for older lenses. Leica was wise to drop it in favor of the M series which had a greater future. The best features of Leica have always been designs that were perfected before production began, and fine workmanship. I eventually beat my IIIf purchased new in 1953 to death. The M4 bought in 1970 is still going strong, although it shows much use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    You joke. I know you know the Rolleiflex is 120/ 6x6. Barnack was one of the first 35mm designers. The designer of the Ihagee Kine Prakitca is in the running too. Modern cameras are still based on his design.

I have a Leica IIIc (1942) and have been using it as my primary camera.

Kent in SD
    I have one word for you...Rolleikin!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Zeiss Ikon designed the Nikon RF cameras so nothing innovative there apart from slight modifications. The Nikon F is essentially a rangefinder with a mirror box, just as the Zenit C (S) was 4 years earlier. The irony is modern Bessa and similar rangefinders from the same factory are based on a Cosina SLR minus the mirror box and prism.

Innovative designs where the Prakitana and very early East German made Contax acemeras and then the Pentax S.

My own feeling is the Leicas didn't mature until the IIIf & g and the M series was already in the pipeline evolving fron the IV prototypes made before WWII.

Ian
    I'd call that titanium shutter pretty innovative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Was Oskar Barnack the best 35mm camera designer of all time?
    No! My vote would go to Dr Nagel of Contessa Nagel, Zeiss Ikon and Kodak fame.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin