Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,110   Online: 863

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The only problem with adjusting ISO is that the meter circuitry may not be linear vs. supply voltage. It might now be good in sunny 16 but off when measuring in low light. Most circuits are non-linear but it depends on the camera.
    -Fred

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Of course the strength of the QL17 is its manual mechanical shutter that you can use with any meter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Very interesting. I should add that although I have had no problems I am using b/w film, where there is quite a bit of margin for error. If the OP is going to be using E6 then maybe the converter is the best answer. Also for what it's worth I find I most often use the camera in manual mode anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Aspen View Post
    The only problem with adjusting ISO is that the meter circuitry may not be linear vs. supply voltage. It might now be good in sunny 16 but off when measuring in low light. Most circuits are non-linear but it depends on the camera.
    Some meters can be recalibrated to use the silver oxide cells, it's well worth doing if you have such a meter.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I found the best solution for these cameras that use the old PX625 mercury batteries is to make a quick trip to Costco and go the pharmacy and buy a card with 30 ea. 675 hearing aid batteries. These zinc-air batts are about 1.4v nominally and last a couple of months. ... Like I said, I have the original card from 4-5 years ago and still have a few left. I think the card has a 5-6 year 'use by' date on it.

If your camera is a current hog, take a couple of extras with you when you shoot.
    Compared to these results, my little Canonet is downright current-ravenous! I can expect maybe 2-5 outings of life from one 675 zinc air cell. I'm guessing/hoping that there's some sort of fouling/shorting/issue with the circuitry that a good CLA will fix, and that I'll get plenty of life from a silver-oxide, once it's been converted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Of course the strength of the QL17 is its manual mechanical shutter that you can use with any meter.
    Yes, but it's sometimes very handy to have a camera with built-in metering. I've been using #675 hearing aid cells in my Nikkormat, blocking off three of the four airholes makes a huge difference in cell life, they last a year or more for me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Yes, but it's sometimes very handy to have a camera with built-in metering. I've been using #675 hearing aid cells in my Nikkormat, blocking off three of the four airholes makes a huge difference in cell life, they last a year or more for me.
    Now there's a great idea! I haven't given that a shot yet. My concern was that when using two of the cells piggyback, how do you block the holes and still maintain contact between the cells? Perhaps you have solved that issue? I would be most grateful to hear how that is accomplished. Definitely a great idea!
    -Fred

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Now there's a great idea! I haven't given that a shot yet. My concern was that when using two of the cells piggyback, how do you block the holes and still maintain contact between the cells? Perhaps you have solved that issue? I would be most grateful to hear how that is accomplished. Definitely a great idea!
    I fill the holes with glue, then scrape it off the contacting surface. The 'mat takes one cell, the FtN finder for my F as well as my Gossen meters take two cells. You can use O-rings as bushings to keep the cell centered.

The cell in my camera is still active, I installed it April 2011.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold View Post
    Compared to these results, my little Canonet is downright current-ravenous! I can expect maybe 2-5 outings of life from one 675 zinc air cell. I'm guessing/hoping that there's some sort of fouling/shorting/issue with the circuitry that a good CLA will fix, and that I'll get plenty of life from a silver-oxide, once it's been converted.
    Do you use a lens cap? As I recall, the meter is always on.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    I fill the holes with glue, then scrape it off the contacting surface. The 'mat takes one cell, the FtN finder for my F as well as my Gossen meters take two cells. You can use O-rings as bushings to keep the cell centered.

The cell in my camera is still active, I installed it April 2011.
    Thanks for the instructions! I do use the O rings when necessary.
    -Fred

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin