Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,951   Posts: 1,557,951   Online: 1027

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by I.G.I. View Post
    Well, the 35 mm camera I find most fascinating is Rolleiflex 2002/3003. A daring unorthodox design with fanatical attention to detail and execution. Unfortunately it's not only expensive, but pretty rare as well so, I gather, trying to complement a kit from scratch today will prove both haemorrhaging and an exercise of frustration.

There is also the Rolleiflex 3001, which is a "budget" version of the 3003. It lacks the waist-level viewfinder and a shutter release for vertical shots. Otherwise, it's a pretty cool camera and can sometimes be less expensive than the 3003.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend2 View Post
    There was an article by a photographer many years ago who bemoaned the fact that Pentax were dropping their Spotmatic range. She had become so in tune with her 'Spots that she could tell what shutter speed and aperture they were set at by the feel of the dials and without taking the camera from her eye. That intuitiveness was a product of the cameras of the era. Most people didn't familiarise themselves with their equipment to the same degree, which lead to AF, matrix metering, sub-menus and the rest of the tricks that made cameras more user friendly to the masses, but encourages less intimacy compared to those willing to put in the time on a manual camera.
    Excellent assessment!

Quote Originally Posted by blockend2 View Post
    In this 'post-film', GAS-rich time the chance of building the same relationship with one piece of equipment is less. The compromise I favour are manual focus, lightweight bodied SLR cameras with modern battery systems, late 70s/early 80s stuff fits the bill.
    ACK, again. I guess this why I more and more often find myself leaving my RTS III brick on the shelf and packing an FX-D or FX-3 instead. Wonderful 'low-profile' cameras that work with cheap LR44s, small, light-weight yet reliable workhorses. What more should I want to ask for?

Michael

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The best rangfinder I have ever used was the M6, 35mm SLR manual focus I like Konica T 3, SLR with motor drive F2, Autofocus Sigma SA 9.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can say that the Yashica fX-2 is the finest 35mm camera that I own. It's also the only 35mm SLR that I own, and for good reason. It has everything I could possibly desire in a miniature format camera. Film at one end, and a lens at the other. It's a simple camera with no automatic features.
    Last edited by DannL; 05-03-2013 at 12:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    There is also the Rolleiflex 3001, which is a "budget" version of the 3003. It lacks the waist-level viewfinder and a shutter release for vertical shots. Otherwise, it's a pretty cool camera and can sometimes be less expensive than the 3003.

Thanks for the comment, and for adding the nice photo. Heheh... with or without a waist-level finder till one assemble a nice range of lenses, and the necessary accessories the total cost doubtless will skyrocket. Nevertheless, an awesome piece of gear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by I.G.I. View Post
    Well, the 35 mm camera I find most fascinating is Rolleiflex 2002/3003. A daring unorthodox design with fanatical attention to detail and execution. Unfortunately it's not only expensive, but pretty rare as well so, I gather, trying to complement a kit from scratch today will prove both haemorrhaging and an exercise of frustration.
    2002? I only know of the SL2000 and the 3000 series cameras.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    2002? I only know of the SL2000 and the 3000 series cameras.
    Sorry, a typo of mine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Exakta 500 - if we are talking design and not execution...

It's a nice chunky brick of a camera that fits the hands perfectly.http://www.cameraquest.com/exa500.htm

Unfortunately it has a bit of the FSU 'Tractor School of Design' about it, evident when you wind the film on and hear the gears having "workers' paradise contradictions." But, hey, you can identify the sound of each and every gear -- it's sort of an emotional connection with the camera.

---

I also thought the Miranda Sensomat was neat: A Pentax Spotmatic with a removable finder; the metering cell was in the mirror, a la the Topcon. But again, a triumph of design - Miranda's were not noted for reliability.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 05-06-2013 at 12:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Literally anything w/ AE and AE-Lock. It has to have both. I have 35mm and MF folders, and a couple of TLR's, but nothing is as quick or as intuitive to use as a camera w/ those two features.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I would take the Canon New F1.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin