Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,629   Online: 980

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213
    Shooter
    35mm
    EOS-1V. It has everything
    Canon EOS-1V | Canon 5D2 | 17-40/4L | 24-105/4L | 14/2.8L | 24/1.4L | 35/1.4L | 50/1.2L | 85/1.2L | 200-400/4L | 580EX

“For me, the camera is a sketch book, an instrument of intuition and spontaneity.”
    ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The answer is very simple for me:
    My Nikon F6 (with MB-40 and MV-1 data reader).
    This camera is just perfect: Perfect performance, perfect ergonomics, perfect build quality.
    No other 35mm camera has been so well designed, so well-thought by the engineers.
    Even the smallest details are so clever in their design. It is amazing.
    It is 'build into the hand' of the photographer. A pure joy to use.
    The Nikon engineers and designers have created a real jewel, a technical masterpiece with the F6.
    I am so satisfied with my F6 that I am going for another brand new one (luckily the F6 is still in production): Then I have one loaded with color reversal film, the other one loaded with BW .

Best regards,
    Henning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have to put in a vote for the Yashica TL-Electro; as strong as a tank with a unique (when it was introduced) electronic LED metering system that would survive harsh punishment that a moving needle would not. That combined with a mechanical cloth shutter not needing a battery for operation. I also like its large size, fitting in my hands better.

It also has the ubiquitous M42 mount accepting Pentax and other lenses, although the vastly underrated Yashinons can hold their own against almost anything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cobbu2 View Post
    I have to put in a vote for the Yashica TL-Electro; as strong as a tank with a unique (when it was introduced) electronic LED metering system that would survive harsh punishment that a moving needle would not. That combined with a mechanical cloth shutter not needing a battery for operation. I also like its large size, fitting in my hands better.

It also has the ubiquitous M42 mount accepting Pentax and other lenses, although the vastly underrated Yashinons can hold their own against almost anything.
    Actually, not LEDs. Miniature light bulbs.

LEDs first came out in a camera in the Fujica ST801.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Actually, not LEDs. Miniature light bulbs
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post

LEDs first came out in a camera in the Fujica ST801.
    Yes, they were using the lightbulbs on the rangefinder cameras in the early 60s.

Shooter
    35mm

I shall gladly second that. Add a red X to 'Yashica TL Electro' and I'll agree with you even more...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually, not LEDs. Miniature light bulbs.
    Are you sure?

Camerapedia and Photoethnography both refer to the lighted symbols as LEDs. The TL-Electro was first introduced in 1972. I'm not saying you're incorrect, I'm just curious to know for sure one way or the other. Cheers, Allan
    Last edited by cobbu2; 06-12-2013 at 10:13 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Add details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Yashicano Alemán View Post
    I shall gladly second that. Add a red X to 'Yashica TL Electro' and I'll agree with you even more...
    My first SLR was a Yashica TL Electro X. Bought it in the base exchange in Nha Trang Vietnam 1970. Paid a few bucks extra for the 1.4 lens. Took one of my favorite images with it. Sold it in 83, and regretted it. Bought one a few months ago for a few dollars, just to be having. Weirdest thing is it came with a four zippered leather canister holders from Vietnam just like I had mine set up.

Do I think it was mine? Doubt it. Sold it in Kansas, and this one came from Washington State. But... Both had been in Vietnam, how weird is that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ambaker View Post
    My first SLR was a Yashica TL Electro X. Bought it in the base exchange in Nha Trang Vietnam 1970. Paid a few bucks extra for the 1.4 lens. Took one of my favorite images with it. Sold it in 83, and regretted it. Bought one a few months ago for a few dollars, just to be having. Weirdest thing is it came with a four zippered leather canister holders from Vietnam just like I had mine set up.

Do I think it was mine? Doubt it. Sold it in Kansas, and this one came from Washington State. But... Both had been in Vietnam, how weird is that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    It might be yours. I've seen similar things happen with gear that I've owned (or used) in the past. One item was a chrome Nikomat FT2 that I saw bouncing around eBay for a couple years like a highschool cheerleader in the football locker room. Owned that one about eight years ago. Another was a former Glazer's Camera rental Nikon FM2n that I rented in 1991. Saw that one a couple years ago being auctioned off on eBay by someone in North Carolina. Finally, a Nikon MD-2/MB-1 drive that I owned in late 2010. Saw that one a couple months ago on the Pacific Rim Camera website, being sold by them.

-J
    APUG: F4, F2AS, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you sure?

Camerapedia and Photoethnography both refer to the lighted symbols as LEDs. The TL-Electro was first introduced in 1972. I'm not saying you're incorrect, I'm just curious to know for sure one way or the other. Cheers, Allan
    Yes, they are wrong. I bought an ST801 in early 1974, and all the publications of the time, and the Fuji literature, emphasized that it was the first with LEDs. The ST801 came out in 1972. There is a lot of conflicting information out there. Don't take anything as gospel unless you confirm it. I just corrected the Camerapedia entry to say "lights" instead of "LEDs". One of the best confirmations as to model years and features is advertisements in old photo magazines. Merchant ads tell what was being sold at that time. The original manuals are another source of information regarding features.

You'll find the TL Electro is older than 1972. The TL Electro X might have come out in 1972. They used the proven light-bulb technology, which was quite reliable. The several models of the Yashica TL Electro series were capable machines with some nice features. I've seen several which are still working perfectly. My old ST801 is the same: though well-worn it functions fine, and the meter is as accurate as when new.

The Fujicas were innovative in their electronics for the time: the ST 701 was the first with silicon cells, which required a transistorized amplifier circuit, and the ST801 took it further with the LED readout plus its control circuitry. Then the ST 901 was the first with an LED digital readout.
    I think the 801's readout was the best of all the manual camera readouts using lights. Instead of the arrows of the Yashica, or the +O- of the Nikons, or the limited range of the Penatax MX, it has 7 lights along the right side of the screen, each a one-stop increment. So you always know how far off you are. The really nice thing is that two adjacent lights can light at the same time, their relative brightness allowing discernment to 1/4 stop. Great for transparency shooting.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin