Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,477   Posts: 1,570,999   Online: 901

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post

However none of the basic canons have that, just the L series glass.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is L glass for the older manual Canons also.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ontarian/6381067855/

There is also a manual
    24 1.4L New-FD
    50 1.2L New FD
    85 1.2L New-FD

Scroll down this page for a tasty list of non L's…and these are only the N-FD range
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_FD_lens_mount

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    There is L glass for the older manual Canons also.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ontarian/6381067855/

There is also a manual
    24 1.4L New-FD
    50 1.2L New FD
    85 1.2L New-FD

Scroll down this page for a tasty list of non L's…and these are only the N-FD range
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_FD_lens_mount
    There may be more, I believe the older FD white lenses had L glass too, especially the the giant primes... like the $2,000,000 give or take a mill or two, 1600mm prime lens... it's pretty damn awesome, would like to see a nikon beat that haha.

or the 8mm prime was pretty nice too... though Nikon has Canon beat on that with a 6mm prime, a friend of mine actually has one, he bought it NEW for $20,000 for a job for an airline, they payed him about the same price, it was for interior cabin shots, film work really used to pay!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yea, while alot of FD mount can be had for cheap the L's still retain a pretty penny for manual glass these days.
    I'm all EOS these days so get the best of several worlds via adapters.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Some interesting lens options out there, but I will restrain myself. I'm not gonna buy a lot of extra lenses (can't afford it) and stick to these two lenses for now.
    Keeping in mind my favorite quote from Ansel Adams:

" ... avoiding the common illusion that creativity depends on equipment alone ..."

BTW: See also http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl for an interesting film about & with Ansel Adams from 1957.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

My first Canon ever: an AE-1 with 50/1.8 and 28/2.8 ;-) What do you think??

Quote Originally Posted by TheToadMen View Post
    Some interesting lens options out there, but I will restrain myself. I'm not gonna buy a lot of extra lenses (can't afford it) and stick to these two lenses for now.
    Keeping in mind my favorite quote from Ansel Adams:

" ... avoiding the common illusion that creativity depends on equipment alone ..."

BTW: See also http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl for an interesting film about & with Ansel Adams from 1957.
    I may have a zoom lens for you, I have to check

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of the nice things about Canon FD lenses is that there are a lot of third-party lenses floating around, and it's cheap to do some bottom-feeding on eBay and experiment. I got a Kiron 80-200 zoom that way---I think it cost me ten bucks---that's stupidly sharp for a zoom lens and competitive with some respectable primes. There's a lot of rebranding (Vivitar never made lenses themselves, for instance, just branded lenses sourced from a bunch of Japanese manufacturers) and a lot of uncertainty, which kind of adds to the fun---you may get a terrific lens for cheap, you may get something so bad that it's kind of entertaining, or anything in between.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    The battery door is replacable, as mentioned above. However, it is not replacable by the user. You need to remove the top of the camera, and it is complicated and difficult. You need to take it in and have the door replaced by an actual person or shop that does that kind of thing.

I read one web write-up describing how one guy forced the pin with needle nose pliars without removing the top, but I have been unable to get my pin to budge even with excessive force. I dare not risk the camera.

Best thing for the battery door is the "action grip" that screws over top of it. That will keep the sucker in place even after you break it, most times. What it doesn't keep in place a bit of electrical tape will do.

I have an AE-1P. It was my first SLR, and I still use it today. It is amazing in its simplicity and ease-of-use but will still allow you to do almost anything you want.

P.S. If you want shutter priority, set the shutter to program and manually select your f-stop. It will adjust accordingly. If you want aperture priority, set manual shutter speed and set f-stop to A or "dot". It will adjust accordingly. If you want it to think for you, set to program and A or "dot." Or it's nearly perfectly suited for full manual as well. The only thing I missed (and only on occassion) was an f-stop readout in the light meter LEDs. It wasn't necessary, though, and the shutter dial was so perfectly placed I could notch it up or down on the fly without even thinking for a fast light meter adjustment.

Awesome camera. Will last you 20 years if you CLA it once in a while.
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To my understanding not the door would brake but the lock. This could be replaced by taking from a spare door.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    To be a jerk, canon GROWS their glass (some of it) which isn't glass it's a crystal, it cuts down heavily on CA, something Nikon can't do. So :-p

However none of the basic canons have that, just the L series glass.

~Stone

that's funny, when you compare new canon kit lenses for digi they had TONS of CA, while the respective nikkors are much, much better
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    To my understanding not the door would brake but the lock. This could be replaced by taking from a spare door.
    That's one minor problem. Another problem I've experienced as well as heard about was the part where the door hinges/connects. There is a thin loophole of plastic through which a metal pin passes. A spring around the pin pushes the door away from the camera body. If one of the plastic loops (one top, one bottom) snaps you can still keep the door shut with some ease, however if both snap (as mine currently have, one then the other some time later) you will need the action grip and a bit of electrical tape.

Well, any tape will do, really... but the electrical is black and tacky enough to hold but soft enough to peel away when you need to get the battery in or out. Just about the right tape for the job!
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin