Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,650   Online: 675

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

F5 + 20mm nikkor lens questions

F5: Is a decent manual focusing screen difficult to find? I'd probably get AF lenses anyways but I'm exploring some MF options.

20mm: I have a 20mm f3.5 UD but I do not think it is that great...atleast not at close distances and wide apertures. Would the 20mm f2.8 AF-D/AI-S be a noticeably better lens at close distances? It has CRS but ultra wide angles are difficult to design, to begin with, so maybe that is wishful thinking.

I'm tentatively thinking of selling off my F + 20mm f3.5 UD for an F5 + 20mm f2.8 AF-D. I would then add a 50mm Finding a good/cheap 50mm is easy. I want the F5 because I can benefit from the heft, vertical release, and MLU on the F5 over the F.
    Last edited by puketronic; 02-20-2013 at 04:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Nikkor 20mm AFD or the AIS version (same Glasswear) is outstanding, so don't worry about it being 'difficult to design' The price of the AIS version is significantly more expensive than the AF, but this is down to the simpler mechanical construction of the AF version. The AIS is a real bit of engineering magic. If you want quality then you pay for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    if you are planning to get the F5, then get the AF 20mm. while I love the F5 I save my manual focus lenses for my F4 and FE2. you lose matrix metering with the F5 and MF lenses. the matrix meter in the F5 is its strong point and does wonders with slide film. The 20mm AF D lens is great on the F5. its size is great and easily fits in your jeans pocket.

take a hard look at the 50mm 1.8 D lens. The best $115 I spent on a lens.

Shooter
    35mm
    that is my thought exactly. I'm thinking of sticking with an F or getting an F2 and getting an F5 for AF/more modern lenses. I think selling one for the other is too hasty of a decision...I might prefer MF and in that case I have a camera to fall back on with it's contemporary lenses. I would get the 50mm f1.8 D lens for my AF 50mm. I think most 50mm's are good enough and I do not need anything faster than f2.0 so no need to overspend on a 50mm.

Shooter
    35mm
    20mm is quite extreme.Most people cant handle it. It just covers more. Takes a skilled photographer to handle extreme optics and make stunning pictures. Just my thuogts nothing personal.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have the F5 and the 20mm f/2.8 AF-D lens. They works very well as far as AF is concerned. The lens I have is good but not great in term of sharpness. The 20mm is quite wide and I use it as my widest lens. I use the 28mm much more often.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've not used the F5, but if its electronic rangefinder is as good or better than the one in the F4, it will be extremely helpful for manual focusing. Unless you find blinking LEDs disturbing or annoying, which some people do. The type J (microprism) focusing screen seems much easier to find than the A or L (split prism) screens.

I too love the 50mm f/1.8D. I often find myself using it instead of my 50mm f/1.2 AIS, which makes me feel slightly guilty. It's small and light, it's cheap enough that I don't worry about getting it wet, and most importantly, it's just a really good lens. It's better than the 1.2 for macro, either by using extension tubes or reversing it (I'll often pop it off and simply hold it backward over the lens mount with my left hand).

Regarding superwide lenses, I LOVE them. But it does take practice to learn how to use them. I recently went through a 6-month slump where I didn't take any photos at all; when I went back out with my 18mm, I found I had forgotten how to use it! It took me a few weeks to be able to properly "see" with it again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by puketronic View Post
    20mm: I have a 20mm f3.5 UD but I do not think it is that great...atleast not at close distances and wide apertures. Would the 20mm f2.8 AF-D/AI-S be a noticeably better lens at close distances?
    If you are looking for a superwide with better performance up close, have a look at the 3,5/20mm Ai/Ais with 52mm filters.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you're already looking at an F5, and want a better wide than a 20 UD for close-up, you might as well just pass the proverbial 'go' and head straight to the 17-35 2.8 AF-S, notwithstanding it's still-high price...

Shooter
    35mm
    I just sold my F2AS and F3HP. Kept my fathers F for sentimental reasons. I just never did well with MF. Maybe it's my eyes. Purchased an F5 and should have it by Friday. Really can't wait to try it out with my AF lenses. I do have the 20mm f/2.8D and can't wait to try it out with the F5.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin