Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,262   Online: 1012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Canon AE1 Program

I have been given two Canon cameras lately but I was a Minolta user back in the day so what do you think of the AE1 program.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great cameras. I have 2 of the AE 1p models. Silver finish on one and black on the other. Not that colour means anything but with a black lens it looks great. Performance wise I have never had a problem and with a good selection of glass they can be a very good tool.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Back in the day I sold both the Minolta X700 and the Canon AE1 Program's new. Both cameras were equally good. You couldn't go wrong with either camera. We had few returns on either brand. Optics were comparable.

I don't know how either model has aged.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In fact I just picked up a Canon A1 with the MA power winder. Just finished on Eblay. You really have to shop around for the regular power winders that haven't been wore out. Another thing I found is using the Eneloop AA batteries works the best on the winders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Besides the dreaded shutter squeak, I have never had a problem with either of the AE 1 program bodies I own, and they're my workhorse cameras, always in the bag, always the go-to option when shooting 35. Good, cheap and pretty reliable. FD glass is the same.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As I recall the Canon AE-1 Program was a game changer at the time. Many people left their "favorite" brand to go over to the Canon side at the time. My Minolta XE-7 was fairly new so I didn't change.

You have camera history.......make sure you honor it and keep it alive for all to enjoy!

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    see this current thread on the AE-1 too
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum52/1...you-think.html

and add these as extra features:

-) program feature on the auto-exposure

-) exchangability of viewfinder screens

-) an added, screw-on grip-plate to the front

-) changed position of speed dial

-) different, and more clumsy, film speed setting

-) LED aperture figures in viewfinder instead of scale and needle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great cameras and glass. Look up KEH for good deals.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    1976 started a virtual revolution: the introduction of the AE-1 (and the incredible sales figures to follow). That said, the Minolta electronic versions are nothing to scoff at even though they were not as 'famous' as the Canon AE-1. And, best of all, no shutter squeak. - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh David, none of the other companies electronic offering were worse than the AE-1. The Minolta XE-7, Pentax K2, Nikon/Nikkormat EL series, The Olympus OM-2 they are all at least as good if not better than the AE-1. Canon made a lot of sale because the AE-1 had the lowest price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin