Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,676   Online: 832

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    why the fascination with batteries?
    There are meters out there (I have one) that use mercury batteries which are no longer available. The Wein zinc-air battery is a replacement, but according to the guys at the photo store, it only lasts about 3 months. And the alkaline replacements may or may not work well, because they are lower voltage than the mercury batteries. So I decided to upgrade the meter rather than buy batteries 4x a year.

So I switched to meters that uses easy to find batteries, and also had a flash meter capability.

Gossen Luna-Pro F - 9v rectangular battery (aka transistor radio battery for us old folks)
    I also like the dial/needle combination, as it is easier to use than a digital meter. I can instantly see all the different f-stop+shutter speed combinations.

Minolta Autometer IV - AA battery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To the OP:
    It would help to know if you need flash sync (a digital flash meter), and/or spot metering...your budget, too?

Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would vote for the Gossen DigiPro F, it takes a single AA battery and unlike the Sekonic 308 can be set to aperture or shutter priority. The Sekonic can only be used as a shutter priority meter, so you can find yourself scrolling through the reading until you get to the aperture you want to use. As a reflectance meter you can also rotate the head of the Gossen to face the subject, on the Sekonic you have to turn the display away from you each time you take a reading. Small things, but they help if you need to work quickly.

Steve

Shooter
    35mm

suggest a reliable hand-held meter that uses modern batteries.

I just bought a Gossen Digipro F and would second the recomendation. It's quite a neat size, easy to use and takes one AA battery. It does everything except spot readings.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=darinwc;1465978]
    One thing I like about the sekonic studio delux is the lumisphere faces towards me instead of away from me.

Are you sure it only faces you? Mine swivels and can be pointed away. The proper use of an incident meter requires it be taken to the subject and pointed back at the camera, so it really doesn't matter if it does not swivel. You can hold the meter up into the approximate similar light as the subject to get a reading.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    why the fascination with batteries? I recently bought a sekonic studio deluxe III model L398A--- no batteries, supreme accuracy, incident or reflected, the dome swivels 180 degrees, is the size of a pack of cards and not much thicker.

and no batteries to replace. I bought this one because my old one, which was 40 years old, finally had so many broken pieces of the exterior from being dropped that i was worried dirt would hurt its accuracy, which never faltered.
    Glad to know that a selenium based meter has supreme accuracy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    There are meters out there (I have one) that use mercury batteries which are no longer available. The Wein zinc-air battery is a replacement, but according to the guys at the photo store, it only lasts about 3 months. And the alkaline replacements may or may not work well, because they are lower voltage than the mercury batteries. So I decided to upgrade the meter rather than buy batteries 4x a year.

So I switched to meters that uses easy to find batteries, and also had a flash meter capability.

Gossen Luna-Pro F - 9v rectangular battery (aka transistor radio battery for us old folks)
    I also like the dial/needle combination, as it is easier to use than a digital meter. I can instantly see all the different f-stop+shutter speed combinations.

Minolta Autometer IV - AA battery
    Luna Pro F is an SBC with flash capability (without attachment.)

I have an SBC. As folks said, not small, quite a handful really, but a great meter.

I marveled a bit at the description of the battery as a "smoke detector battery" myself. To me it's a transistor radio battery forever, even if they haven't made the device that refers to in that form in decades.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    I'm sure there are many, but I'll start it off with the Gossen LunaPro SBC, takes a 9 volt smoke alarm battery.

Roger
    The Lunapro SBC is around 25 years old,as big as many compact cameras and Gossen no longer service analogue meters due to the lack of spare parts.
    A modern Gossen lightmeter that suite the O.P's requirements is the Gossen Digipro F
    http://www.gossen-photo.de/english/foto_p_digipro.php, and it runs on a single AA battery. I own both these meters I've retired the Lunapro I prefer the digital one.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 02-23-2013 at 09:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Who cares if they service them? For the price they sell for used, just buy another if it quits working.

I'm sure the Digipro F is nice, but it's also $289 from B&H, probably more most other places. I paid $63 on eBay for my SBC complete with 15/7 degree angle attachment.

That's not a reason not to prefer the digital if you want to spend the money of course. It just depends on what you value and what it's worth to you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Who cares if they service them? For the price they sell for used, just buy another if it quits working.

I'm sure the Digipro F is nice, but it's also $289 from B&H, probably more most other places. I paid $63 on eBay for my SBC complete with 15/7 degree angle attachment.

That's not a reason not to prefer the digital if you want to spend the money of course. It just depends on what you value and what it's worth to you.
    The O.P didn't mention price only specification, so I assumed it wasn't the criteria.
    Ben

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin