Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,751   Online: 980

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Here's the modification I did today to turn the TwinMate into a Zone System meter.

I put a screen protector over the front. Moved the calculator dial a stop at a time and marked the tip of the green arrow across the scale. Then I cut a sheet of brass into a comb to range from Zone II to Zone VIII. At left and right, there is barely room for 3 stops but marks for Zone II and VIII are necessary, so those two end marks are cut smaller. The VIII mark is "less accurately" cut than the rest - that's just a workmanship problem, not a design feature. I was very impatient, didn't wait for glue or paint to dry - so you can see it's rough. No Zone Roman numerals, you have to count them out.

I glued "on top" of the green pointer and with rough side up, so the modification won't interfere with the meter needle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    why the fascination with batteries? I recently bought a sekonic studio deluxe III model L398A--- no batteries, supreme accuracy, incident or reflected, the dome swivels 180 degrees, is the size of a pack of cards and not much thicker.

and no batteries to replace. I bought this one because my old one, which was 40 years old, finally had so many broken pieces of the exterior from being dropped that i was worried dirt would hurt its accuracy, which never faltered.
    Because it's the 21st century, and modern digital meters are quicker to use, not as prone to shock damage as meters with needles, more accurate, and have much better low light capability s, to carry a spare battery is no problem. I've had a Studio Deluxe for about twenty five years but have retired it to my sock draw together with my Western Euromaster,Gossen Lunapro, and I doubt if I will ever use them again, my digital ones are so much better.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree with Ben there. I don't have a studio deluxe III model L398A but I doubt that it has supreme accuracy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wish I was local to Ben - I figure I could get a good deal on his Studio Deluxe meter!

To supplement my Gossen Digiflash, of course.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't mind batteries, but there is value in the meter being simple. I've got a flash meter IV, and an analog sekonic L208. For simple quick use, I have to review the various settings on the flashmeter-IV, sliding covers and reviewing the LCD display options. The the l208, I verify the film speed, aim and press the button. The simpler one is quicker to use. I use an incident meter because it's quick. If I wanted to measure zones and analyse things, and tag my film for a certain development choice, then I'd be less concerned about quick and more about features.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I agree with Ben there. I don't have a studio deluxe III model L398A but I doubt that it has supreme accuracy.
    I always think Chan a light meter accuracy depends to a large extent on who's interpreting the readings, they can't as many people think just be waved casually in the direction of the the subject and the resultant reading be taken as gospel without some thought.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 02-26-2013 at 06:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just like the way analog things work. Shrug. There are times for anything though. I do plan to replace my Soligor Spot Sensor with a Pentax Digital, partly because I can't read the Soligor needle in really low light.

I agree that selenium meters lack low light sensitivity and thus are not a real replacement for a battery powered meter. But they are kind of nice to have as backup, and the older ones, with fresh cells, are just plain cool in the way only classic items can be.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I always think Chan a light meter accuracy depends to a large extent on who's interpreting the readings, they can't as many people think just be waved casually in the direction of the the subject and the resultant reading be taken as gospel without some thought.
    I actually think of accuracy in a different way. To me a meter is accurate if it conforms to its specification. As you know you own the KM flashmeter VI it's calibrated to a K14 and C330 for incident with the dome and C250 with the flat disc. The light level is defined as to how many lux or how many cd/m^2 for reflected. And the meter is accurate if it conform to that with a small tolerance.
    With that said a meter can be accurate and accurately wrong if the user doesn't know how to interpret the readings.
    By the way the way you describe some people make meter readings is almost the same way Ansel Adams described how Edward Weston did his meter reading... any way he got excellent result and so did Adams.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have a Minolta Spotmeter F, Like it a lot. Works with an AA battery
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I actually think of accuracy in a different way. To me a meter is accurate if it conforms to its specification. As you know you own the KM flashmeter VI it's calibrated to a K14 and C330 for incident with the dome and C250 with the flat disc. The light level is defined as to how many lux or how many cd/m^2 for reflected. And the meter is accurate if it conform to that with a small tolerance.
    With that said a meter can be accurate and accurately wrong if the user doesn't know how to interpret the readings.
    By the way the way you describe some people make meter readings is almost the same way Ansel Adams described how Edward Weston did his meter reading... any way he got excellent result and so did Adams.
    I take your point Chan about a meter being accurate if it conforms with the factory spec., however I do think that that photographers who are getting unsatisfactory exposers are too quick to blame the light meter or the shutter speeds of their cameras because it doesn't conform to their sunny sixteen guestimate, anything but blame themselves and their exposure technique.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 02-26-2013 at 02:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin