Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,492   Online: 890

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    David,
    It is the other way round: as all preceding Nikkormats FT series had MLU, then Nikon decided to put the battery compartment underneath the mirror on the EL series.
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I think cameras in the Nikon F era had mirror lockup not so much for avoiding mirror vibration but to accomodate lenses that stick in the camera too far and thus they must be manual. Something like the MLU of the Nikon F6 certainly won't be good for that.
    That's a good point. The Contarex, for example, had a lever in the mirror box that when pressed raised the mirror. And this was for mounting the 21mm Biogon, whose rear element sat just in front of the shutter curtain. This lens was sold with its own viewfinder for use on the Contarex. In truth, several of the early Contarex lenses were nearly identical to those available for the Contax.

Personally, I've never used the mirror lockup feature on any camera. I probably would, however, if I did a lot of macro work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Nikon FE and FE2 lock the mirror when starting the self timer countdown, which gives you an effective lockup function.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin