Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,697   Posts: 1,482,547   Online: 883

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Nikon Camera's with MLU

So, I have an FT2. It has the manual MLU switch. I know the mirror even flips up when I utilize the self-timer.

If anyone has the information at the tip of their tongue, I would like to know which other Nikon camera's utilize a dedicated MLU switch or, flip the mirror when the timer is activiated.

I have the N80 and F100. Neither of these have any way to hold open the mirror. I also have an EM which I know can flip the mirror with the timer.

Any other's??

thanx way much, in advance,

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikkormat FTn - manual lever
    Nikon F2, F3, F4 - manual lever

Shooter
    35mm
    Also F5 and I presume the F6 have the manual lever.
    MLU with self-timer is available on Manual Focus FE/2, FM/2, FM3A, FA, EM, FG, FG20.
    A pseudo MLU is available with some AF cameras with Time, instead of Bulb. The F60 does have a MLU with Time: the mirror flips up when you press the shutter and the shutter opens 0.5 sec. after you lift the finger.
    My cameras:
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F50, F55, F60, 2xF601, F65, 3xF75, F801, 2x F801S, F80, F90, 4xF90X, EL2, FE, FM, 2xFG, FG-20, 3xEM

Shooter
    35mm
    F5 has manual level. F6 is a setting in the drive mode. Once you set it in this mode, first press of the shutter release bring the mirror up and the second press release the shutter. However it would time out in 30 seconds.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think cameras in the Nikon F era had mirror lockup not so much for avoiding mirror vibration but to accomodate lenses that stick in the camera too far and thus they must be manual. Something like the MLU of the Nikon F6 certainly won't be good for that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    Nikkormat FTn - manual lever
    Nikon F2, F3, F4 - manual lever
    The Nikkormat Ftn also lifts the mirror when the self timer is actvated. I think, but do not know, that the Ft, Ft2, and Ft3 also do this.

The F has a mirror lock up, but it requires using a frame to get mirror locked, that is you select MLU and when you trip the shutter the mirror stays up until you return the selector to the normal position.

Shooter
    35mm
    So with the Nikon F the MLU is for mounting special lenses rather than to avoid vibrations as it would waste to many frames doing so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    So with the Nikon F the MLU is for mounting special lenses rather than to avoid vibrations as it would waste to many frames doing so.
    I used to use my F for macro work pretty regularly, I now use the Ftn exclusively for macro for just this reason.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The Nikon EL2 has a manually operated mirror lockup lever. Additionally, the mirror snaps up automatically and the aperture closes at the beginning of the 10-second self timer countdown. I think that the Nikkormat ELW used the same system.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    The Nikkormat EL/w Nikon EL2 need the mirror lock because the battery access is underneath the mirrorr inside the camera. Its a wonderfully built camera but marred by its reputation for draining batteries. It belongs to the era just before the Canon AE1 when auto exposure in an interchangeable lens SLR was as high a premium as Dolby stereo on your Chromium Dioxide cassettes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin