Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,937   Posts: 1,585,638   Online: 783

Shooter
    35mm

How to fix a loose focus ring?

Mineral spirits got into the lens somehow and now my 85 1.4's focus ring feels very loose. Nothing else went wrong, aperture and image quality is still great. How or where can I fix it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by teraflame View Post
    Mineral spirits got into the lens somehow and now my 85 1.4's focus ring feels very loose. Nothing else went wrong, aperture and image quality is still great. How or where can I fix it?
    Send it to a competent technician. The grease (which was dissolved by the spirits) on the focussing helicoid needs to be replaced, and it will need a thorough cleaning of wherever else the mineral spirits contaminated.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would take care of this sooner rather than later - if you have thinned oil inside the lens, get it fixed before it spreads... and mineral spirits could be dissolving things like glue as well.

Shooter
    35mm
    Until I read "85mm f1.4" I was all set to recommend a tube of silicone grease and a cocktail stick to spread it on the focusing helicoil.

Unless you're reasonably skilled as a mechanic I'd get it dealt with by a pro. I re-greased a 55mm 1.8 today but that was a case of repairing a fairly common lens which I'd paid very little for (the tube of grease cost almost as much as I paid for the lens!) Worth the effort though as the optics are utterly superb.
    Matt

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Silicone grease is the last thing I would like to have nearby anything I grasp. It not only creeps but is hard to remove.

I know its benefits too, I use it. But in my workshop I handle it rather like a contaminant.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know how mineral spirits (ms) could get into the lens w/o being put there or the bottle tipped over onto the lens.

SEND IT IN for a CLA....QUICKLY.
    And tell the tech what happened so he knows what to deal with.

As was mentioned the big danger is that the ms could have dissolved the grease and relocated it somewhere else in the lens where it should not be, like between the lens elements or into the aperture blades.

Shooter
    35mm
    After I fully clean the helicoid I apply a VERY thin coating of Vaseline. It works well. Manufacturers routinely apply too much grease and, in time, you get stiff focusing. Nikons seems to be the only rational exception to this problem as they use grease sparingly. - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Silicone grease is the last thing I would like to have nearby anything I grasp. It not only creeps but is hard to remove.

I know its benefits too, I use it. But in my workshop I handle it rather like a contaminant.
    Well, that's you. I'm not you.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK. Everyone has their opinion, trouble is some opinions are wrong. Here's what to put on focussing helicoids - http://www.nyelubricants.com/products/damping.shtml - nothing else.
    Other products may work, in varying degrees, but most have disadvantages ranging from creep to outgassing to excessive wear and all carry the disadvantage of having to do the job over again, usually involving extra work due to the aformentioned creep and so on.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin