Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,254   Online: 827

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Om1 and OM2. Such amazing viewfinders. Plus the AF nikons and canons.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have just picked up a Minolta Dynax 404si with a 35 to 80mm lens off of ebay for £9.99. The price included a lens hood. I can't see a mark on any of it. Looking at the spec of the camera, it was a steal.

I won't be keeping it though. It is going to someone I work with to live in their golf bag.
    David.

NAS sufferer with far too much Nikon kit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Minolta X- series are wonderful cameras and dirt cheap. The Minolta lenses - oh gawd. I bought my first one 10 years ago and have been given 3 bodies since then. They can suffer the failure of a $10 capacitor that costs $75 to have a guy replace if you can't do it yourself. 1 of the 4 has this problem.
    All paths are the same: they lead nowhere. Choose the one that has heart.

Don Juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some of the Canon FD cameras are not too bad. While not the cheapest, still a bargin.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    Actually the lower end and newer AF cameras are much more of a bargain. Camera like N90, N80 from Nikon are very cheap these days.
    I agree a $75 N90s trumps a $10 Minolta, Pentax, Nikon, Canon AE 1980 era camera.
    I paid $900+ for an N90s (don't do for the 6006,7007,8008... they had shutter issues (for me).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Spotmatics. I see clean Spotmatic II's for $20 on a regular basis, most often with a nice Takumar lens attached.

The Spotmatic F is essentially identical to the K1000 -- whose K-mount and cult status make it one of the most over-priced SLRs on the market. That's a hint to students needing a camera, who often overpay for the K1000 because it's recommended to them. Get a Spotmatic F with lens instead, and you get the same camera, for less.

As much as these old cameras "should" have a CLA performed, I have yet to meet a Spotmatic with an inaccurate shutter. (I've owned or handled at least 15 examples and even the grungiest ones were reliable and accurate.) Pentax did a fine job on the Spotmatics. It's no wonder they were reluctant to "update" to a new lens mount, and no wonder they re-used as much as they could when creating the K-mount cameras.

If you don't want an oldie mechanical, then I agree that the Nikon F75 is THE bargain in full-featured modern SLRs.
    My other camera is a Pentax

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I agree -- the Spotmatics seem to have held up pretty well over the years.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Keep an eye on KEH Nikon auito focus bodies or manual focus bodies.... I just got a N90
    s with battery extender for $59.00! Looks like new and it was their BGN grade. Just keep watching. Also the N8008(S) GO FOR VERY LITTLE. gOOD OUTFIT; GOOD SERVICE AND GOOD HELP. Can't go wrong there.
    Logan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Fujica SLRs have always been very undervalued, I think. And the Ricohs also. Funny how things play out -- those were two smalltime players back 40+ years ago, and now they're a couple of the few survivors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikon N75 - the last film SLR designed by Nikon (or second to last, forget which). The f3.3-4.5 28-80 consumer zoom goes well with it. The combination is $50-80 and weighs 20oz.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/n75.htm
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/28-80mm-g.htm
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin