Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,897   Posts: 1,584,337   Online: 810

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Om1 and OM2. Such amazing viewfinders. Plus the AF nikons and canons.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have just picked up a Minolta Dynax 404si with a 35 to 80mm lens off of ebay for £9.99. The price included a lens hood. I can't see a mark on any of it. Looking at the spec of the camera, it was a steal.

I won't be keeping it though. It is going to someone I work with to live in their golf bag.
    David.

NAS sufferer with far too much Nikon kit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Minolta X- series are wonderful cameras and dirt cheap. The Minolta lenses - oh gawd. I bought my first one 10 years ago and have been given 3 bodies since then. They can suffer the failure of a $10 capacitor that costs $75 to have a guy replace if you can't do it yourself. 1 of the 4 has this problem.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some of the Canon FD cameras are not too bad. While not the cheapest, still a bargin.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    Actually the lower end and newer AF cameras are much more of a bargain. Camera like N90, N80 from Nikon are very cheap these days.
    I agree a $75 N90s trumps a $10 Minolta, Pentax, Nikon, Canon AE 1980 era camera.
    I paid $900+ for an N90s (don't do for the 6006,7007,8008... they had shutter issues (for me).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Spotmatics. I see clean Spotmatic II's for $20 on a regular basis, most often with a nice Takumar lens attached.

The Spotmatic F is essentially identical to the K1000 -- whose K-mount and cult status make it one of the most over-priced SLRs on the market. That's a hint to students needing a camera, who often overpay for the K1000 because it's recommended to them. Get a Spotmatic F with lens instead, and you get the same camera, for less.

As much as these old cameras "should" have a CLA performed, I have yet to meet a Spotmatic with an inaccurate shutter. (I've owned or handled at least 15 examples and even the grungiest ones were reliable and accurate.) Pentax did a fine job on the Spotmatics. It's no wonder they were reluctant to "update" to a new lens mount, and no wonder they re-used as much as they could when creating the K-mount cameras.

If you don't want an oldie mechanical, then I agree that the Nikon F75 is THE bargain in full-featured modern SLRs.
    My other camera is a Pentax

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I agree -- the Spotmatics seem to have held up pretty well over the years.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Keep an eye on KEH Nikon auito focus bodies or manual focus bodies.... I just got a N90
    s with battery extender for $59.00! Looks like new and it was their BGN grade. Just keep watching. Also the N8008(S) GO FOR VERY LITTLE. gOOD OUTFIT; GOOD SERVICE AND GOOD HELP. Can't go wrong there.
    Logan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Fujica SLRs have always been very undervalued, I think. And the Ricohs also. Funny how things play out -- those were two smalltime players back 40+ years ago, and now they're a couple of the few survivors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikon N75 - the last film SLR designed by Nikon (or second to last, forget which). The f3.3-4.5 28-80 consumer zoom goes well with it. The combination is $50-80 and weighs 20oz.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/n75.htm
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/28-80mm-g.htm
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin