Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,824   Online: 1120

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Bargains in the 35mm SLR world? (Least expensive SLRs?)

What would you guys recommend as bargain 35mm SLRs?

I vote the Nikon FG/FG20- bodies are $20-50 all day long, nice, light, manual controls
    Also, the Minolta SRT101s, the Nikon N2000, the Pentax Spotmatics, Pentax ME Super, and the Yashica FX-D (poor man's Contax 139)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
    What would you guys recommend as bargain 35mm SLRs?

I vote the Nikon FG/FG20- bodies are $20-50 all day long, nice, light, manual controls
    Also, the Minolta SRT101s, the Nikon N2000, the Pentax Spotmatics, Pentax ME Super, and the Yashica FX-D (poor man's Contax 139)
    Actually the lower end and newer AF cameras are much more of a bargain. Camera like N90, N80 from Nikon are very cheap these days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You know, all these are 35 to 50 years old. Be certain to factor in a CLA to the price.
    I like pre AI era Nikon bodies, there are no proprietary electronics to go bad and they are easily serviced. The same can be said of many 60s - 70s pro and advanced amateur grade SLRs, there have never been so many top quality bodies and lenses to choose from. IMO they're all bargains.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    Actually the lower end and newer AF cameras are much more of a bargain. Camera like N90, N80 from Nikon are very cheap these days.
    I'd suggest the same thing. My N75 is my go-to "easy" film camera, and I scored the body off eBay a while back for under $20. Might be a little more now, but I think those N series are all good cameras for the money.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Canon Rebles, Pentax Z30, Nikon N 50 or N60.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yashica FX-3, FX-2 ... as Garageboy suggested, the FX-D is good, too, I've heard.

How do you define bargain?

The FX-3 can be had for $50 and it's a durable machine that requires littler or no maintenance; it sports a basic but consistently-good meter; it also accepts a range of great lenses. These things make it a bargain in my book.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    nikon N90 or N80. awesome cameras for under $50 on craigslist all the time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about a Nikon N80 with grip, on sale in the classified FS section.

OK shamless plug I know. There are bargains out there with great qualities.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I see a Pentax PZ-1 on KEH for $39 in EX condition. That's a great deal I'd say, if you like K mount lenses. The PZ-1 (and successor PZ-1p) is an excellent camera, but kind of ugly. They have some as low as $9. That's a giveaway.

Older manual focus SLRs command higher prices, mostly due to much better build quality. Spotmatics used to be the secret bargains (and indeed the cameras still are) but the lenses have crept up due to M43 and Canon video guys using them.
    Pentax MZ-S, Calumet 4x5 Monorail

Favorite Films: Foma 100, Acros 100, Delta 400, Portra 400.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    There also are a lot of 1970s cameras made by Vivitar, Chinon, Petri and others available for $20 or less.

The Vivitar XC-3 is a very nice camera and usually needs only to have its seals replaced. There also is a module that slides into the hot shoe and plugs into a port near the lens mount that gives it autoexposure.

I've bought several and never paid more than $12, and that includes the standard lens.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin