Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,518   Posts: 1,543,760   Online: 856

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi, you are right - the lens will of course be like a macro lens if the SLR camera register is > 28.8mm. I have used LTM thread lenses on a Canon EOS (with suitable adaptor) as macro lenses with some succcess :>) Focussing may be as close as half a meter at infinity but it will still suggest whether a sharp image is possible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,

thank you all for feedback. I will try trick with enlarger - but not soon, I am new in Hamburg, did not had time to install darkroom yet.

regards,

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    To clarify: you CAN focus that lens through an SLR. Not for picture taking but you can focus merely to see if that lens is capable of sharpness. You hold the lens in front of the mount and look through the viewfinder. Then you slowly move the lens back and forth until you get a sharp image. This sharpness will be fleeting and transitory but it will be there. Register distance does not matter here as you are not affixing the lens to the mount, merely seeing if the lens is CAPABLE of sharpness. Yes, even with an enlarging lens you can do this. - David Lyga
    The flange/film distance is of impact in such a test-set, as you won't be able to focus to infinity. You would have to try to focus at something nearby. In the worst case no focussing would be possible at all or you would end up at a scale where other abberations might show up and hamper evaluation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Sorry to mention this, as you have one, but the Summar was probably the worst Leica lens ever made (in my opinion).
    Also irrelevant, as the problem is so severe it's clearly not representative.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    AgX: one is not attaching the lens to the mount in this case so one can 'make' the flange distance any distance one wants. Again, the 'in focus' is fleeting due to the hand holding the lens. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AgX: one is not attaching the lens to the mount in this case so one can 'make' the flange distance any distance one wants. Again, the 'in focus' is fleeting due to the hand holding the lens. - David Lyga
    David:

If the flange distance is much less for the lens then the camera is designed for, you would need to put the lens inside the camera to get it close enough for your test to work with distant objects.

Close-up objects are different.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    MATT: Yes, you are putting it 'inside', but watch your semantics! The 'inside' is only a couple of millimeters! You do NOT have to worry about the mirror crashing into the lens because you are not flipping the shutter. It is really not rocket science. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    MATT: Yes, you are putting it 'inside', but watch your semantics! The 'inside' is only a couple of millimeters! You do NOT have to worry about the mirror crashing into the lens because you are not flipping the shutter. It is really not rocket science. - David Lyga
    I did put summar inside touching a mirror of F3 - no focus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No it's not rocket science.
    You don't want to accept that FF distance doesn't matter. For work with a bellows, yes the lens will form an image but not at infinity.
    With the mirror down it will not allow the lens to be close enough to the film. Remember, the focusing screen in the camera is equivalent to the distance to the film plane.
    Raise the mirror and put a ground glass at the film plane and it will work, otherwise no go.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    No it's not rocket science.
    You don't want to accept that FF distance doesn't matter. For work with a bellows, yes the lens will form an image but not at infinity.
    With the mirror down it will not allow the lens to be close enough to the film. Remember, the focusing screen in the camera is equivalent to the distance to the film plane.
    Raise the mirror and put a ground glass at the film plane and it will work, otherwise no go.
    John:

I think you threw one too many negatives into the phrase "You don't want to accept that FF distance doesn't matter." I think it should be "You don't want to accept that FF distance does matter."

And no one seems to be mentioning that the size of the opening in the camera also matters - just try to fit a Canon breech lock FD lens through a Pentax screw mount lens mount.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin