Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,724   Posts: 1,515,024   Online: 1209

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nasa's Nikon?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nasa's Nikon?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Not sure I'd pay $10,000 for a NASA camera, although it's interesting to see that NASA paid $20,000 for it originally. I wonder how Nikon customized it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Probably bogus. These cameras were made to order by the camera dept. at NASA. They were ultra light weight and had some extra features. I have seen and handled some and saw what was done to modify them.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    If this sort of stuff rings your bell, I think you'd want to know a bit more about its provenance before parting with 10K - on Ebay of all places. OzJohn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Two or three years ago there was a Nasa F4 with stickers and documentation on the bay that had a weird ending time, and wasnt labeled as a Nasa camera in title, so unless you clicked on the additional pictures to view the back of the camera or read the detailed description you wouldnt have know. How much did it go for? Somewhere around $240 bucks, I was going to bid in the last minute, and my flaky internet connection crashed...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thinking about this, I realize that I know the head of the camera dept. at NASA, and can put you in touch with him. If you wish details (as far as I can go), contact me. This guy is over 80 now and has retired, but if you MUST do this, contact me.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Some time ago I´ve seen a supposed NASA Hasselblad EL/M on Ebay. It looked like a normal EL/M except that the word "NASA" had been scratched onto it in very crude letters. I found that quite hilarious.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nasa's Nikon?

From what I've read online, many of the nikons didn't need heavy modifications, some had the type of lubrication and grease changed, as well as the glues on the coverings. The rest was attaching motordrives and making the camera easier to aim and shoot with their gear on. The vast majority of nasa cameras never left the earth, and were probably used for documentation on the ground though and wouldn't have needed these mods.

I remember seeing a documentary with old footage of a few of the moon landing astronauts learning to use their modified blads in the dessert practicing with focusing etc. that was pretty cool. Too bad there isn't a book on camera gear that was used specifically for space or near space, I would love to have something like that. I would also be curious to how they tested and evaluated cameras and how the bidding process went with each company, and why they ultimately chose what they did.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    More gear fetishism, the camera as a religious relic
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin