Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,473   Online: 991

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

OM system lens compatibility

I hope this doesn't get dumped as off-topic, but it is about 35mm lenses.

A friend of mine plans to do some whale watching, but he has only a modern follow-on to the fabulous Olympus Pen model with a non-film light receptor 18 x 13.5 mm. He is looking at longer lenses than he has, but is choking on the prices of the new auto-everythings. I made him aware that all the old manual OM lenses would still work on this camera. I am wondering how the shorter distance to the "film plane" and the smaller size of the non-film receptor affects the operation and performance of the lenses. Does the adaptor for these lenses correct for the distance? Does it then just act as if the camera has a mask down to 18 x 13.5?
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Focusing works fine, but be aware, its manual only and those little 'non-film' cameras are a pain to manually focus. As for field of view, it acts like the film has a mask down to the sensor size, so his wideangle lenses will no longer be very wide, but his longer lenses will be 'longer'
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ohhhh, no split prism..... Yes, that will be hard on that useless little screen.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yep. Your friend is best of buying an OM film body and shooting film if he wants to use his OM glass, and buying Micro 4/3 glass if he wants to shoot the new camera.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    35mm
    Tell your friend to check out www.bifos.com

Lots of information there about legacy lenses used on (unmentionable) modern Olympus cameras.

correction; should be www.biofos.com
    Last edited by pen s; 03-07-2013 at 09:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    127 Format
    How could anyone even see the screen of such a camera in a moving boat out on the ocean in the sunlight?

A sad day when Olympus reassigned legendary camera names to unworthy objects d'plastique.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    If it is the model that uses a VF-2 then manual focus is possible but of course that adds $250 to the set-up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pen s View Post
    If it is the model that uses a VF-2 then manual focus is possible but of course that adds $250 to the set-up.
    I don't understand this. Would you elaborate? He has the first Pen digital.

Shooter
    35mm
    There is nothing in the original post to indicate which model. Only the E-P1 cannot use the VF-2, all following models can. That is why I used the word 'If' in the reply, I did not know which model he had.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    I hope this doesn't get dumped as off-topic, but it is about 35mm lenses.
    Yes, but not about analogue photography.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin