Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,302   Online: 1063

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Nikon F4's

Considering the 'hassle' involved with the de-clicking of the AI/AI-S lenses(5 of them total), THEN paying to get them each individually t-stopped, I'm guessing that it'll probably be upwards of ~$1k or so, thats a LOT of film for the freezer !

So, seeing that I'm NOT doing any video work, just stills, I've realized that it's not going to be worth it.

thx,
    -Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    Your original findings are interesting though; it makes me want to do DOF tests also. I wonder if making multiple shots with the same exposure would still show discrepancies.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benveniste View Post
    I'm not going to comment on Mr. Rockwell as a source in general, but as a long time FA owner, I can tell you that the FA only applies "last look" corrections in S and P modes and not A nor M modes. So for DOF purposes, Mr. Rockwell's claim is a red herring. If you think about how Nikon's aperture lever works, you'll see this has to be the case. (From language in the manual, I think it only applies such corrections when it can't detect an AI-S or Series E lens, but I'm less sure of that.)

You might be able to get a lens re-engraved with T-stops, but unless you also recalibrated the detents you'd still be shooting in f/stops. Since DOF is a subjective "acceptably sharp" criteria to begin with, I suggest you relax, don't worry, and save your money for outings, film, prints, etc.
    Thanks for the clarification and the nice writing!
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It's easier to calibrate people than to recalibrate lenses to T-stops. Once you've determined the required offset to correct to T-stops, apply it when calculating the desired exposure.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by LJSLATER View Post
    I've tried de-clicking an AIS Nikkor. Removing the click-tab also removes any and all resistance on the aperture ring, so it's free to just turn on its own. In addition to feeling like garbage and occasionally making a fingernails-on-chalkboard noise, the aperture ring moves on its own when attached to the camera since the metering coupler on the camera is spring-loaded. I took some pictures of the lens parts below so you can see how de-clicking/re-clicking the aperture ring would work in theory. I don't know if all Nikkors are built like this, however.

Nikon 50mm f/1.2 AIS by LJ Slater, on Flickr

Nikon 50mm f/1.2 AIS by LJ Slater, on Flickr

Regarding the exposure discrepancies, I too would be interested to know which camera was used? The F5/F6 are supposed to have shutter monitoring systems that makes corrections as needed. My guess would be that the manufacturing tolerances in Nikkors are not up to your standards, Mr. Stone :P

There are lots of "T-stopped" cinema lenses for F-mount bodies, but they appear to be upwards of $3K each.
    I found the apertures on Nikkor lenses are very accurate. I have no complain. I found even with the F5 the shutter speed accuracy still not very good.

Shooter
    35mm
    Are you also going to get the shutter speeds checked for accuracy and, more importantly, repeatability?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I assume you're not using TTL metering? If you are, T-stops won't help you because the camera is not measuring what the aperture says it is - it's measuring the light that's being transmitted when stopped down to that aperture. An inaccurate shutter or sticky diaphragm can contribute to exposure errors of course (as can a miscalibrated mirror) but getting the camera and lens properly adjusted should eliminate the problem completely.

If you're using a handheld meter, I can see the benefit in T-stops but the light transmission of most lenses for 35mm photography is so good, it isn't likely to make a significant enough difference, even with chrome film. You'd need 15 or 18 elements, I'd think, before it started to make enough of a difference compared to using f/stops.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Jim,

Not sure if you're talking to the other(F5) guy or me;

If me, I DO use a handheld meter. Hardly ever use the in-camera meter unless I seemingly forgot to put the meter in the bag prior to departure .
    A cinema-meter in fact, a Spectra IV digital. Wonderful meter, super accurate, and great for VERY low-light exposures as well(which I'm starting to do more of, @ dusk, etc...)

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was under the impression that T-Stops hade to be recalibrated every so often... I imagine that'd be fairly pricey in the long run.
    "Art is is a picture of some dude I never met smoking under a lamppost at 6400 ISO and in BW."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Dan,

if you really need to be sure, you can always use stop-down metering if your camera provides it. The difference between your measurement off-camera and the value measured via TTL should remain constant with changing f-stops. You will probably never catch the source for the minor variations you describe, though. I'd start with having the shutter checked and - if neccessary - calibrated.

best

Stefan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin