Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,845   Online: 860

Shooter
    35mm RF

Zeiss Ikon Electronic, lenses and accessories

Hi,

I'm new to this platform. I'm a happy Leica photographer and was lucky to inherit a complete set of Zeiss equipment.
    The equipment includes:
    Zeiss Ikon Contarex Electronic., serial no. 55... , no rear cap
    Planar 55/1.4, serial no. 4498... , in plastic tube
    Sonnar 135/2.8 serial no.3696...
    Vario Sonnar 85-250/4 including a flexible rubber hood (no rear cap), serial no. 4542...
    Flexible handgrip
    2 additional film backs/film loaders
    2 cable releases,several filters
    Manuals for camera and grip
    Passport for body plus Planar
    Guarantee cards
    Original invoice and proof of payment for body, Planar and grip
    Service receipts

I had the body and lenses cla'ed by Wil van Manen/Kamera Service and everything is in perfect working order. The invoice is also available (dated as of today). The set looks excellent, only the body's film sensitivity ring has a scratch.

The question I have to you, gentle people, could you be so kind to help me establish a value for the set or point me in the direction of someone that can? Your help is very much appreciated. I understand that the Vario Sonnar is rare, as only 581 were made.

Kind regards,
    Lars
    Last edited by Lars58; 03-12-2013 at 02:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For selling rare items an auction house would be a good outcome.There are several that specialized on cameras and got experts in house.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    As always, check eBay's recently closed auctions for a guide on prices. Look for actual sales and not those that didn't successfully sale.

You'll find that many people ask ridiculous prices for gear, and those prices should be disregarded.

If your true intent is to sell, price it to sell, not to fill a retirement fund.

The suggestion of an auction house also is good.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Do you mean the Contarex? I would research on ebay, westlicht auctions, keh.com

Shooter
    35mm RF

Thank you

Thank you for the responses. I'm intending to sell. Just looking for fair pricing. Will look at the auction houses mentioned and ebay for done deals, as I have done before. Just couldn't find done deals for a complete set including supporting papers. And yes, I meant the Contarex, will edit the OP.

Kind regards,
    Lars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lars, I understand why you want to sell the collection as a unit, but there's a theorem waiting to be proved -- if it hasn't been done yet -- to the effect that a group of items sold individually at auction will never bring less that the group sold in one lot and will usually bring more. Your inheritance contains some fine equipment, but nothing really special or in high demand. If you something special, say a Super-Q Gigantar, well then the likely venue for bringing it to a rich sheik's attention would be an auction house, most likely Westlicht. But for relatively pedestrian, although good and very nice, gear eBay is the likely venue. Decide the least you'll accept for each piece, start the auctions at those prices, accept what comes and be happy, even though mourning the person who bequeathed the gear to you.

FWIW, one of my friends was a very serious collector of Zeiss equipment. His estate sold the collection to Westlicht for, the widow insists, pennies (and not many of them) on the dollar. On the other hand, the estate was settled fairly quickly and the heirs were able to get on with their lives without spending considerable time trickling Charlie's treasures out through eBay.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Lars, I understand why you want to sell the collection as a unit, but there's a theorem waiting to be proved -- if it hasn't been done yet -- to the effect that a group of items sold individually at auction will never bring less that the group sold in one lot and will usually bring more. Your inheritance contains some fine equipment, but nothing really special or in high demand. If you something special, say a Super-Q Gigantar, well then the likely venue for bringing it to a rich sheik's attention would be an auction house, most likely Westlicht. But for relatively pedestrian, although good and very nice, gear eBay is the likely venue. Decide the least you'll accept for each piece, start the auctions at those prices, accept what comes and be happy, even though mourning the person who bequeathed the gear to you.

FWIW, one of my friends was a very serious collector of Zeiss equipment. His estate sold the collection to Westlicht for, the widow insists, pennies (and not many of them) on the dollar. On the other hand, the estate was settled fairly quickly and the heirs were able to get on with their lives without spending considerable time trickling Charlie's treasures out through eBay.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan
    Dan
    Charlie was also a good friend of mine especially when I printed reproduction literature for Zeiss Historica. We traded a few Contarex items from to time.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mark, I take it you miss him too. My wife and I had lunch with Therese a couple of weeks ago, she's well and moving forwards.

Y'know, he didn't use his Contarex gear. Said that newer bodies were easier to live with and that newer Zeiss lenses were at least as good as -- sometimes identical to -- lenses for the Contarex.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin