Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,559   Posts: 1,545,255   Online: 811

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canon lenses

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Of the 30 plus years using Canon FD lenses, I've owned all prime lenses. When I started my Canon system, I was told by my photo mentor that zooms aren't as sharp as primes back then. I can't verify that fact. However, I own a Canon DSLR with newer zoom lenses are very sharp. Yes I occasionally shoot digital.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by elcabezagrande View Post
    You can't find a better bargain on a very good all-purpose 50mm lens than the venerable FD 50/1.8.
    The Canon FD 50mm f1.4 is aperture for aperture a much better than the 1.8 version, and I own both of them, I would also recommend the FD 35mm f2 and the FD 100mm f2.8 as a very useful three lens outfit.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotoguy20d View Post
    Nah. Only about half as much (maybe 3/4 as much) as my A-1 with Motor Drive.

Ya -- you piqued my curiosity. The lens w/o filter, shade or caps weighed 600 grams on my kitchen scale , and the A-1 body with a bit of nylon strap included, but no battery or grip battery cover, weighed about 620. So my original comment, which was a guess, was pretty accurate. It was my most used lens after I got it. (And also the most expensive lens I ever bought at the time -- I've since surpassed that!)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks everyone. Especially for those links Les Sarlie,they really cleared up a few things.

Now another more specific question. The links do not cover the 55MM f1.2 SSC lens. I already have a couple 50MM f1.8 but this lens has always caught my eye. Do not know why but I'm interested. KEH has one for $349 in EX condition. Would it be a worthwhile purchase?

It's amazing what good glass can be had for now. Is eBay worth the effort? It seems as if the sellers are getting more and more sketchy as time goes on. That place use to be the online flea market but now not so much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinCrabtree View Post
    Thanks everyone. Especially for those links Les Sarlie,they really cleared up a few things.

Now another more specific question. The links do not cover the 55MM f1.2 SSC lens. I already have a couple 50MM f1.8 but this lens has always caught my eye. Do not know why but I'm interested. KEH has one for $349 in EX condition. Would it be a worthwhile purchase?

It's amazing what good glass can be had for now. Is eBay worth the effort? It seems as if the sellers are getting more and more sketchy as time goes on. That place use to be the online flea market but now not so much.
    At the risk of repeating myself Martin the best bang for your buck in the Canon FD 50mm lenses is the 1.4 which was the industry standard that aperture for aperture outperforms the rest of the range, anyway nobody needs a f1.2 lens unless they photograph black cats in coal cellars
    Last edited by benjiboy; 03-17-2013 at 11:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    .....Now another more specific question. The links do not cover the 55MM f1.2 SSC lens. I already have a couple 50MM f1.8 but this lens has always caught my eye. Do not know why but I'm interested. KEH has one for $349 in EX condition. Would it be a worthwhile purchase?..........
    The FD 55/1.2 is a beast, meaning it's big and heavy. Build quality though, is top-notch. Optically, because it uses ordinary spherical elements, it's soft wide-open. You'll need to stop down to about F2.8 to get a razor-sharp picture. Still, there's something undeniably cool in having this lens mounted on the front of a Canon FD camera.

Jim B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    The FD 55/1.2 is a beast, meaning it's big and heavy. Build quality though, is top-notch. Optically, because it uses ordinary spherical elements, it's soft wide-open. You'll need to stop down to about F2.8 to get a razor-sharp picture. Still, there's something undeniably cool in having this lens mounted on the front of a Canon FD camera.

Jim B.
    It depends if you want to improve your photography or your street cred. then.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm

As f1.2 lenses go, it would seem that the Canon's have the best value going. I only have this in a Pentax and Minolta lens but I would anticipate the quality of their build and their outstanding results compared to their f1.8 & f1.4 stablemates will be the same for Canon. That being said, they provide unmatched ability to isolate subject matter and typically better bokeh.

KEH's warranty makes any purchase worry free and it has been my experience that they usually underrate their items.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would look up KEH also.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I currently own and use the 55mm f/1.2 lens. A good lens it is but I have found a few that are quite worth having and using as well. The Canon FL 50mm f/1.4 is one of my favorites as well as the FD 50mm f/1.4 SSC lens. Investing your money in a superior (?) lens might not be a good investment when their is other Canon glass to be had for less. My next investment would be the 85mm FD lens but it is out of my budget limitation for now.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin