Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,923   Posts: 1,584,985   Online: 1112

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canon lenses

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 85mm f/1.8 is a gorgeous lens. The shots are amazing wide open. Beautiful bokeh. A bit heavy though.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    KEH has the 85MM f 1.8 for $205 in EX and $159 BGN condition if that works for you.

I guess I'll stick with the 50MM f1.8 for now and puck up a wide angle and big tele. I can see this going like the motorcycle obsession. Got 4 of those that run and parts enough to build a few more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most Canon FD glass is affordable. Fluorite glass still fetches high prices. I still can't afford one though they sell for a fraction since the 80's. But Some day ....
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Most Canon FD glass is affordable. Fluorite glass still fetches high prices. I still can't afford one though they sell for a fraction since the 80's. But Some day ....
    The FD aspherical lenses still go for top-dollar too.

Jim B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    The FD aspherical lenses still go for top-dollar too.

Jim B.
    I don't think in the final analysis of ones work the viewer gives a shit if the image was shot with a Fluorite,aspheric lens, or a bottle bottom, they care more about if your pictures "say" anything to them, the worship of equipment for it's own sake is futile, photography is about pictures.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I'm getting GAS. Yes I know aspherical FD glass fetch top dollar too. Aspherical and florite glass. Yikes! I call it the one percenter's glass.
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 100/f4 macro is another good choice.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You could get the 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8, and 135mm but those are booring.

Try these three canon FD lenses for not too much:

#1: 50mm f1.4 - an abolute must have. Better than the f1.8, 50mm f1.2*, and 55mm f1.2. *Note the 50mm f1.2 FDn non-L version is pretty poor.
    #2: 24mm f2.8 - A little bit wider than 28mm and very sharp.
    #3: 70-210mm f4 - More versitile that the 135mm, surprisingly sharp.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I don't think in the final analysis of ones work the viewer gives a shit if the image was shot with a Fluorite,aspheric lens, or a bottle bottom, they care more about if your pictures "say" anything to them, the worship of equipment for it's own sake is futile, photography is about pictures.
    You care if the lens allows you to take a picture you couldn't take otherwise. If not, everybody would be happy with pinhole cameras.

Jim B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    You care if the lens allows you to take a picture you couldn't take otherwise. If not, everybody would be happy with pinhole cameras.

Jim B.
    The reason that people want huge aperture lenses is more about acquisition and their image (in the mistaken belief that bigger is better) than if they need them for practical low light photography, it's overkill like buying a Ferrari to do your shopping at the local supermarket.
    I've been using Canon FD lenses for 35years and never needed a bigger standard lens than my 50mm f1.4 which aperture for aperture the best of them. Gear freaks, and obsessive lens testers rarely in my almost fifty years experience as a photographer rarely take worthwhile pictures with their equipment because their raison d'être is acquisition and testing of gear not creating pictures, when I consider claims that people I meet are photographers I don't ask them about their equipment only to see their work, because anyone with money can buy cameras and lenses.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 03-19-2013 at 12:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin